headset washers

I have several headsets that require a washer with a small tab on the inside. This tab goes into the slot on the steering tube shaft but finding them?
thinking of cobbling some via the AZ DIY mantra??

and all this time I though the tabed washer was to keep nut nuts from turning by them selves.
thanks DannyC

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Yes, that washer stops the lower threaded race from being over tightened as you crank down the top nut.
I have made these when required using standard washers and some work with a round file.
For the tab, a quick tack of weld and then a small square file to clean it into a tab.

Brad

I contemplated the welding idea but if the tab is not needed then won't even try it.
Need to locate some micro chips I didn't realize I had until I checked with Mouser electronics. Last ordered November 2018. Just before my bypass surgery in January. And yes, after bypass surgery you lose some memory. Must be due to the body being on a heart bypass machine.
Have some trouble while working on my trikes and can't remember simple things but then it clicks in--oh yea

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I would consider the tab to be necessary for sure.
Only other way I can imagine is to vice grip the threaded race while you turn down the top nut, but then you will end up with teeth marks.

Brad

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
And yes, after bypass surgery you lose some memory.
My mother had a knee operation, at 70 something, after which she often said, "I think that the anaesthetic has interfered with my memory." Within 12 months or so she obviously could not remember or identify her children and couldn't remember beyond a few hours.

Anaesthetics are dangerous things and they seem to spend quite a bit of time these days telling you about the risks. I wouldn't like to try and do without them though.