Flanged Split PTFE bearings

Thought I'd put this here too as it really applies to a lot of potential builds and this type of bearing is simple and cheap. They're flanged split PTFE bearings and are just a quid or two each from ebay. They are 1mm thick so an 18mm o/d x 2mm wall tube will take a 14x12x7mm bearing and use a 12mm bolt. They make kingpins very easy and quick to make and are very smooth in operation. They press in with a vice or moderate use of a hammer and I can't see me using steering tube and headset bearings again.

Gosh!
Where do you get your steel from?
Is it specially shipped to the UK by being towed behind a submarine from the US/Canada? ;)

Had it a while and my garage leaks!
Got news for you both , my garage does not leak and I have some bought as new steel that looks like that !

I assume it reaches ' dew point ' gets condensation on it and then starts to rust ?

It is noticeably only on the upper surfaces of stuff hanging from the ceiling....

Go figure 😢

Got news for you both , my garage does not leak and I have some bought as new steel that looks like that !

I assume it reaches ' dew point ' gets condensation on it and then starts to rust ?

It is noticeably only on the upper surfaces of stuff hanging from the ceiling....

Go figure 😢
Condensation then, cold steel meeting hot moist air.
My steel is all stood up in the corner of the workshop, no rust at all. Strange.
It does make you think though, if the outside is like that, what will the inside be like after a few years?
When I cut my StreetFox up (2.5mm walled tube) I was amazed to see that it was all scabby and it looked like it was delaminating.

It's my first build with these. This chap seems to have used them on many such occasions and is where I first heard of them. Indeed he makes a point of recommending them.

Yes, but I recommend using Smarties (M & M's) instead of birth control pills, YMMV ;)
Please be sure to let us all know how it all turns out.

Last edited:
It's probably also worth saying that almost every donor I pick up (with a threaded head tube) has more play in the headstock bearing than any plain bush is ever likely to have yet the bike has been sufficiently functional that the seller didn't even know / care. Also I've had many a tight spot with them and have had to back off the nut accordingly.