First attempt to build my own Streetfox

Hello,
This is my first attempt to build my own recumbent trike.
Dreaming of a recumbent for years, I purchased a six pack many years ago. Now that I am retired I started the adventure. I bought a stick welder, 6 meters of square tube, and started to cut some scrap bikes into pieces.
This picture dated from October last year. I drove about 300 km.
Currently I am dismantling the bike in order to clean up the ugly welds, to improve some chain management and to prepare everything for the paint job.
I will post some new photos when all is done.
Jan

Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Love it! Even rockin' the fenders!
Nice touch with the smiley tennis ball bumper, too! :)
Lookin' forward to seeing pics of the "refined" version!

And this is my little red fox.
Brush painted in red with black elements. Equipped with brand new inner and outer cables for brakes and gears. As in the picture she weights 29.4 kg. Track is about 73 cm, wheelbase 113 cm. I have a 3 x 8 speed installed from my former mountain bike. I love to ride this bike.

Please notice the little red fox. My wife loves Jaguar with the little statue of the cat on the hood (no I do not own such a car, I drive an Opel Astra Sports Tourer). I felt obliged to do something similar.

Very Nice!
Thanks for sharing.

Thank you all for the compliments.
Although, the merit is mainly for Brad, for the magnificent construction plan of the trike and for Twinkle who added the straight crossbar.
Thank you for this great bike.

Nice trike , are they cleated pedals ?

If not are you aware of this ? Leg suck

ride safely !

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
The reason I fitted cleat pedals to my Warrior was not specifically for leg suck. It hadn't happened to me but I did see it happen to someone else while I was following. It was while barrelling down a 5% grade - free gravity power. Fortunately, his leg was not broken in the event although I half expected it.
When I decided I needed cleats it was because I became conscious of very frequent foot repositioning. I don't know why it hadn't been noticed much earlier. Maybe it was a change of shoes? One of those great "fixed" experiences. Recommended for recumbent trike riding.

These are ordinary pedals, not cleated. I want to be able to ride my bike with 'normal' shoes.
I am thinking of making heel straps with knotted paracord.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
I am thinking of making heel straps with knotted paracord.
That's a good idea! I'd love to see some pics if you do!
I have plenty of paracord on hand, left over from my paracord hobby days.

I've ridden recumbent trikes for years without toe clips, & so far (knock on wood),
I've never had an issue with slipping off the pedals, but I've always been aware of the danger! :eek:
I just never wanted to "clip in".

Looks great. I am building the same trike with disc breaks and under steering. The back side is as the street fox, so with suspension. Is there some one who can get me an idea how to mount a back rack for luggage?

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Looks great. I am building the same trike with disc breaks and under steering. The back side is as the street fox, so with suspension. Is there some one who can get me an idea how to mount a back rack for luggage?
We have built 2 off 20/20 street fox trikes with e-assist just modified a standard rack to mount on the rear triangle . Cant upload a photo via the phone , but our build is still available on the cyclechat website as building a couple of 20/20 e-trikes from scratch

We have built 2 off 20/20 street fox trikes with e-assist just modified a standard rack to mount on the rear triangle . Cant upload a photo via the phone , but our build is still available on the cyclechat website as building a couple of 20/20 e-trikes from scratch

Thanks, I looked on your website but it not totally clear to me how you did it. Is it possible you mail me some photos so I can have a closer look. Walterkooy63@hotmail.com thanks already.

I used the rack from an old donor bike and attached the underside with a bolt as a normal rack on an upright. At the top I welded the remains of a small kids bike rack, screwed to the pivoting back of the trike.

I used the rack from an old donor bike and attached the underside with a bolt as a normal rack on an upright. At the top I welded the remains of a small kids bike rack, screwed to the pivoting back of the trike.
Thanks, the rack is not a problem, the mounting near the rear axel also not, but the third connection point gives me a headache. It’s a rear swing arm and your third connection point is at the not moving frame part. Did you make a pivot point there too for the rack? If you have photos could you please send them to me ? Walterkooy63@hotmail.com