fat delta

Had some time today so the rear assembly pictured above was welded up. Then I thought it would be nice to do a mock up with the front wheel clamped on to get an idea of how it might look. Wasn't too bad but man was it ever long. With the boat seat sitting just ahead of the square frame and the crank loosely in place. from outside edge to outside edge of the fat tires it was almost 9' long. So the seat got moved back onto what the loderunner plans classify as the cargo deck so the rider just sits ahead of the rear axle by 8" or so. Then the crankset was spaced for my leg length and even though the plans said a boom length of 58" would be fine for someone under 6' tall I found almost 2' could easily be trimmed off the boom. So since it's supposed to rain tomorrow the square cargo area at the back will get a plywood deck and the seat will be mounted firmly. Then the final length of the main boom can be set leading up to the front wheel install. If the overall length can be in the area of say 7' it should be OK. Then a couples pictures to follow.

Here,s a couple pictures from today, first is the main boom attached to the wheel assembly.

this next one shows the plywood deck I put down for the seat and the cargo area.

Next is with the seat sitting on the deck. i had to raise the front up 3 1/2" and possibly a bit more and the back by 1 3/8". This was necessary to raise me up enough to make a turn of the pedals feel proper. With the seat level to the deck when the pedal was at the highest point of it's rotation it was uncomfortable.

And finally a shot from the back looking forward.

The bottom bracket is not bolted firmly down yet and the boom will be trimmed a minimum of 18", Length now is 58" so will be down to 40", less if possible. The tubes around the sides and rear are just tacked so far and the seat needs a bit more experimenting before a final height is selected. At that point a plywood box will be made that gives the seat a stable base and tilts it up at the front. After that the bottom bracket will be fastened. And my free wheel adapters came in the mail today so the jack shaft can be built as well.

It's a rainy day here so I spent a few hours in the garage. Constructed a plywood stand for the seat then cleaned up some brackets i made for the adjustable bottom bracket and welded them to the frame. What i did is make 2 small strips with 6 holes and welded them to the underside of the main tube. The holes match the 2 holes on each side of the bottom bracket. So 4 small bolts are tightened and the bottom bracket does not move. Plus it's still adjustable about 2" each way from center which is my leg length. Next comes the fun part - the front forks and wheel

Website
miscdotgeek.com
It's coming along well! Are you going to reinforce the seat mount with steel also or is it going to be all wood? Also how is the rear frame mounted in the rear? I didn't see a support going across the dropouts from left side or right side. I'm just curious how you're going about solving that problem. Otherwise looks good and I'm looking forward to seeing more :)

The seat mount will be just plywood for now. It will be glued and screwed together so strength should not be an issue. As to extra support for the rear frame I,m still working on that. There is a small plate from each chain stay welded to the seat/cargo frame but they don't offer much strength.

Got the front fork boom solidly tacked on plus the wheel assembly very lightly tacked in place. now I need to look at it and check all the angles etc before adding another tack. So far it's looking good, the fork angle is 64 degrees and there is 3" clearance between the tire and the downtube.

Hi Hugh,
In "a shot from the back" the right rear wheel will only "ratchet" if the driven sprocket is mounted on the left (inside) side of the rear wheel. Driven sprocket needs to be right hand drive outside the frame unless specialty parts were used.
Jeffstuff!

Jetstuff I realize that about the driven sprocket. One wheel drive will be good enough, I left the sprockets on the right wheel because I did not feel like removing them. I have yet to fab up a jack shaft that will transfer the power from the crank set over to the left rear wheel. If the driven wheel ever malfunctions it will be an easy swap to replace it, which of course will prob never happen.

Hugh,
I didn't realize you intended to use one wheel drive . Early in the build you had mentioned 2WD. Sorry on my confusion!
Jeffstuff!

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Looks like a comfy ride!

One thing I can advise since I have that exact same boat seat on the Mule and LodeRunner is that it will need a back support tube. That particular seat is not strong enough to take pedaling forces. A 1 inch tube at least running up the entire backside will be needed. Other than that, it is a great seat.

Brad

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
One thing you don't want is for the seat back to suddenly go backwards. Happened to me in a car once when I went up a very steep driveway. The seat frame tube suddenly packed it in. Kept my foot on the brake and managed to secure the car without damage.

Another rainy fall day so time well spent in the garage. Today was the day to mock up the jack shaft and after getting an idea of how it should be placed then mount the pillow block bearings. The shaft in the picture is not the one that will be used, that one has a keyed spline and the cassettes are just sitting on the shaft to make sure the clearances are good. Very finicky job but another piece of the puzzle completed.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Wow! Looks like you've got a great place to work!
Man, I envy you! You're makin' good progress, too! (y)

Thanks, it's small but well insulated which you need in Winnipeg. If you noticed the 2 pictures on the right wall in one of the photo's one is the Warrior on a 60 km charity ride, the other is my fat bike a couple years ago on Global Fat Bike day. Good Time's.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
If you noticed the 2 pictures on the right wall in one of the photo's one is the Warrior on a 60 km charity ride, the other is my fat bike a couple years ago on Global Fat Bike day. Good Time's.
Hard to see, but yes. Man, I love organized cycling events of any kind! Well, except for wedgie races.
Many years ago I used to participate in marathons & such. Did a century once. My personal best to this day!
Yes, good times. Wish I could find some kind of organized event within a reasonable driving distance.

N o pictures but I now have the steering assembled. A friend Nobling stopped by and lent me a hand which was invaluable. The handlebars and also the steering rod are hooked up. So tomorrow a bit of welding plus of course the inevitable grinding and then one more step closer to paint. Pictures to follow tomorrow but first a visit to the dentist to finish up a root canal. I did go and pick up a cruiser bar set up but it,s going back to the cycle shop, just not comfortable enough.