delta

My next build will be a delta trike. I like the sharp turning radius the design offers and the better off road/gravel trail capability versus my Warrior build. A huge stumbling block has been the fabrication of the rear wheel disc's. To get around this I may just build a wraparound frame similar to some bicycle trailers. This will enable the use of whatever rear wheels are decided on and should ensure enough strength. Because the winter season here in Winnipeg can run for 4 or more months fat tires are being considered. A discount store called Uncle Weiners has recently opened here in town and they sell a fatbike for $209 for 2 or $239 for one. The $209 times 2 sounds good. You get 2 complete steel framed fat bikes for $418 plus taxes. Buying the parts alone costs way more than that and you have 2 complete set's of wheel's/tire's plus the 2 set's of drivetrain. I already have the 1 1/2 tubing so that's not an issue. An off road capable delta with 26 by 4 tires all around would be a blast. I,ve been experimenting on the Warrior with enclosed bodies and have designed and built 2 different styles using coroplast for the panels and feel a delta style could be a better platform. Anyway this is still just a plan in my mind but I do like to build.

My next build will be a delta trike. I like the sharp turning radius the design offers and the better off road/gravel trail capability versus my Warrior build. A huge stumbling block has been the fabrication of the rear wheel disc's. To get around this I may just build a wraparound frame similar to some bicycle trailers. This will enable the use of whatever rear wheels are decided on and should ensure enough strength. Because the winter season here in Winnipeg can run for 4 or more months fat tires are being considered. A discount store called Uncle Weiners has recently opened here in town and they sell a fatbike for $209 for 2 or $239 for one. The $209 times 2 sounds good. You get 2 complete steel framed fat bikes for $418 plus taxes. Buying the parts alone costs way more than that and you have 2 complete set's of wheel's/tire's plus the 2 set's of drivetrain. I already have the 1 1/2 tubing so that's not an issue. An off road capable delta with 26 by 4 tires all around would be a blast. I,ve been experimenting on the Warrior with enclosed bodies and have designed and built 2 different styles using chloroplast for the panels and feel a delta style could be a better platform. Anyway this is still just a plan in my mind but I do like to build.
Hi Hugh

I'm really close to paneling the StreetRunner. But I'm 'planning' on using sheet metal as the weight isn't a big issue with me.
However, I know about the chloroplast panels, and wondered how that turned out for you. (Pics?)

keep in mind that only one wheel in the rear is driving unless you build /add a differential.
Your no better off with a one wheel drive Delta vers a one wheel drive Tadpole trike.
The Delta has stability issues that must be considered. Yes a Delta is easier to build but the differential issue MUST be considered. There is one trike manufacture that has a 26 x 4 tadpole trike but for $3000. Now you know why I am contemplating/ aquaring parts for a 26 x 4 tadpole trike.
good luck

Mr Idaho I am aware of the differential issue also the stability of a delta versus tadpole. I consider my Warrior build to be like a sportscar and I have managed to tip it over by going way too fast around a corner. Nowadays I value it more for the comfy ride and tend to do corners a bit slower. For me a delta would would be ridden the same way, ie a bit slower and careful around corners. There are lot.s of sandy and muddy trails within a short distance of home and the delta platform is in my opinion pretty good off the paved road. I haven't even put pen to paper yet because it,s still in the mental imaging stage. Regarding the 1 wheel drive I have a couple thought's on that. One is research to find a rear diff - Utah trikes has one and it,s around $400 U.S. So that is a possibility. I have both a BBS02 and a BBSHD mid drive motor already and the 02 is a good candidate for a build because it's currently on a 700C equipped road bike that is somewhat painful to ride much longer than 50 km's. Plus there is always the option of adding a front hub motor so with an standard one wheel rear drive a front hub gives 2 wheel drive. Or in conjunction with a diff it could be 3 wheel drive on demand. Since I,m retired and only have some much available cash the route that uses the most of my available resources seems to be best. That's getting the 2 fatbikes for $418 and then being happy with 1 wheel drive for now.

Hi Hugh!
I've been looking for this stub post, from before the "Fat Delta" thread.
You bought two fat bikes from Uncle Weiner. You have Two fat bike drives on rear wheels. Use the fat bike rear triangles side by side. Build a crossover drive jack shaft to power the left rear wheel (inside the frame) and right rear wheel outside the frame.. you will have 2WD on back of the trike. Both rear ratchet wheels will operate independently.
Jeffstuff!

...Build a crossover drive jack shaft to power the left rear wheel (inside the frame) and right rear wheel outside the frame.. you will have 2WD on back of the trike. Both rear ratchet wheels will operate independently.
Jeffstuff!
Just for purely theoretical purposes, I would argue that this setup should work fabulously. It would have equal power to both wheels while going in a straight line. When cornering, the outside wheel would freewheel and only the inside wheel would be under power, unless...the inside wheel loses traction. If the inside wheel loses traction then it would spin and "catch up" in speed to the outside wheel. Then they should both be under power again, correct?😈

Hi NOBLNG
It appears to give forward traction on both rear wheels, also allowing speed differential when turning.
I'm not sure of performance during snow /mud conditions.
I have zero experience in trike building. Maybe Brad can shoot holes in this logic?
Jeffstuff!

Twinkle

Super Moderator
it gives 2wd in a straight line , single inside wheel on corners and single wheel drive after one spins .
The downside is weight and they have frictional overheads.
unless you go for one of the very expensive lsd units that are one the market .

These LSD units are used in the UK for GP pedal car racing.

regards Emma

it gives 2wd in a straight line , single inside wheel on corners and single wheel drive after one spins .
regards Emma
Just curious, if the inside wheel spins due to low traction, why would the outside wheel not kick in when wheel rpm is matched?

Twinkle

Super Moderator
Just curious, if the inside wheel spins due to low traction, why would the outside wheel not kick in when wheel rpm is matched?
it does, it becomes single wheel drive again with the outside wheel , with a standard diff when 1 wheel spins you get no drive , LSD is the way to go ,

see samagaga

regards Emma

"...it becomes single wheel drive again with the outside wheel..."

regards Emma
So the single jackshaft/dual freewheel setup does operate like a limited slip diff then. The only drawbacks are the additional weight and frictional losses. These drawbacks would not be an issue on a trike that is going to be powered with a mid-drive motor.:)

I built one for my T-bucket and it worked just fine.