Bill of Materials

So I'm trying to figure out a list of what to buy or even in general what I'll need. While I've read through plans 3-4 times now there isn't a general list of parts anywhere.

I'll likely have access to 3 bikes for parts. I know there are 3 sets of the front wheel assembly used (apologies I don't know all the bike terms yet). I know I'll need the rear of one of those bikes (not completely sure where it needs to be cut off). I saw some bearing sets needed, but I don't understand exactly what a full set really consists of.

There's a lot I'm trying learn with this project. Thanks for any help.

what style of HPV are you looking to build?
HPV = human powered vehicle
access to a welder is one requirement either have it welded or DIY. tHIS IS PART OF THE FUN, WELDING

So I'm trying to figure out a list of what to buy or even in general what I'll need. While I've read through plans 3-4 times now there isn't a general list of parts anywhere.

I'll likely have access to 3 bikes for parts. I know there are 3 sets of the front wheel assembly used (apologies I don't know all the bike terms yet). I know I'll need the rear of one of those bikes (not completely sure where it needs to be cut off). I saw some bearing sets needed, but I don't understand exactly what a full set really consists of.

There's a lot I'm trying learn with this project. Thanks for any help.
Welcome AndrewD2

I know how you feel about the terms. That's why to this day, (nearly 7 years), I still refer to Brads tutorials.
When it comes time to start hacking your donor bikes, THAT, is a great time for a lesson in bike construction.

Good luck in making your first creation.

what style of HPV are you looking to build?
HPV = human powered vehicle
access to a welder is one requirement either have it welded or DIY. tHIS IS PART OF THE FUN, WELDING
Well to be honest, since I posted in the forum for the TriCruiser I felt it was assumed that was the HPV I was looking to build.

Welcome AndrewD2

I know how you feel about the terms. That's why to this day, (nearly 7 years), I still refer to Brads tutorials.
When it comes time to start hacking your donor bikes, THAT, is a great time for a lesson in bike construction.

Good luck in making your first creation.
I came across that tutorial shortly after I posted. I look forward to going through it.

Well to be honest, since I posted in the forum for the TriCruiser I felt it was assumed that was the HPV I was looking to build.
Andrew

I think MrIdaho has done what I did which is to use the What's New ? tab at the top ?

This allows us to see all new post without looking in every Forum to see what has been posted.

Whilst that shows the post title in Bold the actual forum it was created in is in very small text and very faint so is easily missed.

regards Paul

word to the wise, the tri cruiser looks deceiving and an easy build BUT it needs some attention in the COG department.
this was my first build and learned a lot, even while laying on the ground after it tipped over.

word to the wise, the tri cruiser looks deceiving and an easy build BUT it needs some attention in the COG department.
this was my first build and learned a lot, even while laying on the ground after it tipped over.
Yeah I don't expect it to be easy. I did pick up 6 sets of plans. I'm looking at the TriCruiser because of the height. I live in a fairly rural area where bikes are commonly ridden on the couple of highways out here and I want the height for visibility. So while there are easier designs that I've seen I only have access to so much material so I need to make it count.

I don't know how to weld yet. I'm hoping to learn through a family friend that does it professionally. I'm researching welding methods currently. I'll have to see how things go.

I'm researching welding methods currently. I'll have to see how things go.
Don't forget you are welding 1.5mm / 1/16th /16 swg tubing so that rules out some methods.

Also some methods require materials that are not particularity safe to store at home ?

regards Paul

for welding, a mig welder (quality unit like miller, hobart,etc) is the easiest one to learn to weld with and they have units that run on 110v ac.
Thinking of your idea of building a tricrusier - beware that locating front forks, BOTH MUST BE EXACTLY the same or handling issues will be built into your project.

Well I've got access to a welder now (not sure what kind yet, I think it's MIG). The guy also has roughly 300 different bikes that can be used for parts so I should be able to get everything I need. And my dad said he can get me the metal tubing from the scrap at the place he works.

Anyone have an estimate of the total length of tubing needed? I know there's a 6' piece needed for the main body, but I need an estimate for my dad to keep an eye our for lengths.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
300 bikes!... yeah, I would say you are set.
You can use round or square tubing as well, just keep to the 1/16" wall and 1.5 or 2.0 diameter.
Find two 10 foot lengths, and you are more than set.

Brad

the square tubing is easier to work with. Just need a 4.5" angle grinder and cutoff discs for it. Abrasive wheels to clean up welds.

would the 1/16" wall still be OK for someone around 290 lbs?
I know that this is over a year old but I picked up some 40mm x 40mm x 1.6mm steel tubing today and it was a beast... Maybe if you went off road you would need thicker if you were heavier but with the rear suspension as long as you didn't do anything to weaken the integrity of the box frame like drilling holes into it etc then I feel it should be fantastic.

I would say go with a slightly thicker wall or at least move to 2" square tube.
Brad
Do you think 14g wall is strong enough, or would you suggest 12g.??

14 swg is plenty strong enough for anyone sub 300 lbs though moving to a bigger diameter tube rather than thicker wall gains more strength in the chassis. 14 swg is easier to weld than 16 swg though.