Big Boy Tadpole modifications

New to all this, but excited. Would like to build a StreetFox but see some weight limits that I will exceed, about 325lbs. If I go with 14 or even 12 guage, I'm still concerned about the front axles. If is go with the front axle recommendation for the Warrior, then I'm at a 5/8 axle, and the option then to go with disc brakes. What do you think? Or should I build the Timberwolf and beef up the suspension?

I'm 270lbs and have used 1.5mm tubing on a warrior style tadpole. 14mm axles have coped fine too.
Thanks for the input. I saw in a previous thread that Brad was in process of designing a new model he call the Motivator, a tadpole rated to carry a 400lb rider. I can't find it on the website, have you heard anything about that effort?

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Welcome to the Community!

The Motivator is still on my "one day" list, but lately I have been into machines I need around the farm.
With the heavier wall tubing and some minding of sharp turns, you could get by on one of the "tads".
For an indestructible ride... LodeRunner.

Cheers,
Brad

Thanks Brad
Well then with that input, I'm thinking I'll go with the StreetFox using 14 gauge tubing and build the front axles as described for the Warrior and upgrade my ride to disc brakes. I haven't welded in over 40years, but I'm pretty excited about this project. Over the last month I've studied/bought several of your plans. Thanks again.........Larry

I was looking for new wheels and I found, on Amazon, a company, Lowrider, who sells 15mm wheels and axles. I just searched for 20" bicycle wheels. I am close to 300 lbs, and my streetfox, with 14mm, has had zero problems in ten years. I ride on bumpy shell roads in campgrounds a lot. You can buy 20mm BMX hubs! That would hold up a truck. Overkill.

Last edited:
Oh, crud. I'm an idiot. I built my street fox 10 years ago. I just looked, I have an open front boom with a light in it. It is 1/8" ! Sorry. That does explain why it is so hard to put on my hitch rack!! About double weight? I forgot we overbuilt it that much. I guess all the extra quarantine weight I've put on won't matter!