Behold my Time Distortion Device!

Website
miscdotgeek.com
Much respect! I love time lapses, and have been using Canon Powershot cameras to do them for a long time. I've seen the commercial Time Distortion Devices and yours looks like it'll be very good! I'm looking forward to the software side of the build as well.

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Thanks!
I have only done basic slide motor testing, just pointing at random stuff, but it does seem smooth...

Once I have the pan and tilt axis working, it should be possible to make some unreal time lapses.
The software is going to be highly versatile as well, even able to do moon or star tracking.

There is one other part of the user control that is going to be over the top, but I am not saying anything until I can tune it up a bit and make a video. I will offer a hint though... "use The Force, Luke"!

Since y'all are photography freaks as well, do you prefer blended frame video or stop-shoot captures for time-lapse?
This unit will do both since the steppers allow dead reckoning and .9 degree movements.

Brad

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
I actually like the smooth look of just letting a video camera run. Because there is no "true" shutter, the frames blend into each other, which produces a more natural time-lapse. This is not feasible for shots longer than a few hours though.

For longer shots, the "drive stop shoot" mode is better as it simply moves the hardware a little, stops, and then engages the shutter release on a camera, taking one single frame. This is great for doing super long time lapse shots like watching a plant grow over a week, or time lapsing a building going up.

Stop shoot also requires extremely accurate motor positioning, which is why I am going with large steppers for all three axis on this little hack project. With the dead reckoning ability of this system, it could theoretically stay in one place and travel the 5 foot slider distance over an entire year!

I am really going to bend some time with this rig... should be super fun to watch the resulting footage.

Brad

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Thanks!
It has been non stop rain around here, so this project is a good side track until I can get out there and make more progress on the complete bike build video.
Messed around some more and made the parts to connect all the steppers up...

Should be able to make a basic stepper driver for the 3 motors just to get some testing done.

Brad

Banglen, Thailand and a little bit Reading, UK
....I'm not a photography guy, but it all looks good to me. On some of the nature and wildlife programs I watch it's truly amazing how much time and effort goes into what turns out to be just a few seconds on screen - must need the patience of a saint. Looks like you're going all out to making this new build video, and best of luck with it...

Radical Brad

Garage Hacker!
Staff member
Thanks!

The TDD is just one of the many side-track projects I have sitting all over my lab, but I decided that I can actually make use of it this winter when I get back to doing AZ Tutorials when I am chased back indoors. I am converting half my lab into a mini studio, so the TDD will give my videos a bit of depth.

I updated the blog today. Added a better camera support base, so now it's all about the electronics.
Still way too wet and foggy for the bike build video filming today, so I will keep hackin' away on the TDD.

https://www.atomiczombie.com/blogs/

Cheers!
Brad