As Popeye Said........ "I can't standz no more"

I am fed up of the terrible state of my junk-room come workshop. Everything "not immediately required" gets chucked in there and it is just too depressing and untidy for words. Every attempt to tidy it up results in just moving junk from A to B.
Time to do Something about it then!

There is a shed at the bottom of the garden. It is dilapidated (as most sheds are) and is only 72" x 96" and one corner has collapsed due to rot.

So I plan to build a new 12-Foot by 9-foot 8-foot high shed (from raw materials) with the help of a family friend who is currently struggling work-wise due to the Covid-19 situation. So I will be paying him a decent daily wage to help him pay his rent and feed himself and he will be doing most of the hard labour and effort related tasks.

The intention is to build a "quality" structure using Studwork framing that is externally clad in Featheredged boarding and internally sheathed in plywood.
All of the walls, roof & floor will be insulated (to a modest degree) and the roof will be capped with a one piece EPDM membrane.

The biggest problem at this time is getting a quote for the supply & delivery of the materials. The building industry has gone mad over "Social distancing" Big strong men who work out of doors in all weathers afraid of a glorified cold virus!!
So this is the start of something beautiful (and hopefully TIDY) where all of the existing workshop content that is really "once-in-a-blue-moon" usage (Building, plumbing and carpentry tools and stuff) can be decanted to; leaving me with much more space for working safely and easily in the little workshop. Being able to see the floor again would be nice ;)

Last edited:
Banglen, Thailand and a little bit Reading, UK
Sounds like a nice and much needed project there Danny. Built a steel shed at my mum's not so long ago. Came delivered in a huge (and heavy) flatpack for assembly. Not the same as yours I know, and a bit smaller. Wanted something that was low maintenance once put up, so hopefully it fits the bill. Cheated on the base, just used slabs, but ground fairly level to begin with. Anyways - (y)

I am so happy for you. You have liberated yourself.
Having not long ago gone through the same feelings of inadequacy, (no not that!). . .
I'm talking space, and just moving junk from one corner to the other...just to get out!

I have been a real happy camper since I got my new shed/shop. Yes, it tends to get messy sometimes, but that's my fault.
When I was working I always had a clean space left at the end of the day. But have never been able to follow the same pattern in my own home workspaces.

Is the old shed partially salvageable? Maybe you could add on to it in some way with your new shed/shop and increase your useable workspace.
For example, use the old shed for storage and the addition used for building things.
My other sheds are 12 x10 and the three sheds are built with a one foot between them, and they are each accessible from the inside.

Last edited:
I am so happy for you. You have liberated yourself.
Having not long ago gone through the same feelings of inadequacy, (no not that!). . .
I'm talking space, and just moving junk from one corner to the other...just to get out!

I have been a real happy camper since I got my new shed/shop. Yes, it tends to get messy sometimes, but that's my fault.
When I was working I always had a clean space left at the end of the day. But have never been able to follow the same pattern in my own home workspaces.

Is the old shed partially salvageable? Maybe you could add on to it in some way with your new shed/shop and increase your useable workspace.
For example, use the old shed for storage and the addition used for building things.
My other sheds are 12 x10 and the three sheds are built with a one foot between them, and they are each accessible from the inside.
I like the thinking Ed' but SWMBO is only allowing me a little more room in HER garden. So the existing has to go and the new will have to do. :D

Update 29th May 2020:

All is set for a good run at the project from Monday. I will collect the foundation pads later today and the emptying and tear-down of the existing shed starts Monday AM and the pads will get placed.
The timber arrives on Tuesday and the build will get going in earnest. I fear I have gone a bit OTT on the strength and structure of the shed as the cost has escalated to over 2 grand. Which I think may be a bit much for a 12 x 9 shed, but it will be one that lasts me for the rest of my life I am sure.:eek:
I will be taking pictures as the build progresses just so you can see how much fun I will be having. Obviously, the start of the project is the signal for the weather to change from our lovely warm & sunny weather to typical English clouds & rain. :ROFLMAO:

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Obviously, the start of the project is the signal for the weather to change from our lovely warm & sunny weather to typical English clouds & rain. :ROFLMAO:
Ah, so I'm NOT the only one who's a victim of "sentient" weather...

Update 31st May 2020:

The Old shed has been emptied in preparation for its dismantling. Once emptied, the true state of its disrepair was all too evident.
The contents have been distributed around all of the other sheds and/or parked-up safely under waterproof coverings until the new shed is finished.
I am hoping to get the structure up and a watertight roof on it in the coming week. Doors may take longer; unless I re-use the doors from the old shed perhaps?
They are no longer square and look rather shabby though. We will see.

Update 1st June 2020:
Unfortunately my labourer friend has had a mishap with his car and was unable to get here yesterday and is struggling to obtain a new radiator today. He hopes to be with me some time today or tomorrow.
In his absence "Pansy Potter" (my other half) and I have knocked the shed down (came down in 20 mins like a pack of cards) and between us we have carted most of the panels away for later placement in a skip.
I only put these thumbnails here as a record of the progress.

Some critters were living under there like slow-worms and lizards and they were saved and directed to safe places elsewhere in the garden.
I will clean up on aisle 3 and prepare the footprint area for the concrete blocks and the eventual leveling of them.

And this is what I ended up with ....

I have had a brainwave. Rather than struggle to level the blocks all up perfectly, I may do a "best-endeavours" leveling and then use sacrificial off-cuts of the main tanalised timbers trimmed to get the required leveling.
It took over 20 years for the old non-tanalised shed base to rot away so this would last till long after I am dead & buried I think. ;)

Last edited:
Update 2nd June 2020:

Today was the first day when Thom & I had a full run at the project together.
The morning was spent setting out the concrete pads in the formation required and all to the same level +/- a bit of "bubble" and offloading the delivery truck with all the timber.
I was surprised at the weight of the tanalised timber compared to the plain CLS studwork timber.
Then we turned our attention to the making of the inner section of the raft that sits on top of the blocks.
Once that was done we began making the studwork walls as separate sections to be mounted to the raft at a later stage.
Tomorrow, we will place the raft on the concrete pads and complete that part with another ring of timber beams around the edge of the inner section and then place the walls on top.
By close of play today 2 of the long-walls of the shed have been made and two short-walls will be made tomorrow.
While it is true that Thom did the vast bulk of the work, I was there assisting on every step and this old body really knows all about it. 🤪

Nice progress...

Looking good Dan

After building four 10x12 sheds, by my self, I do not envy you building yours.
It's a lot more work than it looks, so it's good you have help. Especially for the roof bits.

I know you will have pride and satisfaction of doing-it-yourself.

Looking good Dan

After building four 10x12 sheds, by my self, I do not envy you building yours.
It's a lot more work than it looks, so it's good you have help. Especially for the roof bits.

I know you will have pride and satisfaction of doing-it-yourself.
Thanks Ed', it is coming along splendidly, and I am pleased with the progress at the 2-day mark (see later post).

Thanks Ed', it is coming along splendidly, and I am pleased with the progress at the 2-day mark (see later post).
Hope you have water proofs it has rained here from 12;00 and is still raining now

Update 3rd June 2020:
We managed to complete the foundation frame and all 4 wall frames today and attach them and square them up to the base.
A 4 foot doorway has been made in one end and some of the siding has been affixed. Rain stopped play earlier than we would have liked, but that's just the way things are.
Yes, that is me in the pictures (sorry).

Update 4th June 2020:
All I can say really is "Wow!" and "By Golly I am exhausted!"
Just Thom & I today; Full on from 9AM. We strolled down the garden with bacon rolls in our hands to restart the build.
We pitched the roof timbers and put all of the cladding on the remaining 3 walls.
Rain almost stopped play and we rushed to put all of the sheet materials into the structure (13 plywood sheets and 8 OSB boards) and cover it over with a marquee tent covering to keep all the plywood and OSB boards as dry as possible.
We stopped for dinner and then Thom & I went back out and pulled the cover back off a little to put the last few trimming pieces on.
Here is a view of the end-of day (before the rain shower and dinner) progress.

After dinner, the final pieces of siding/cladding were put in place. The shed seems massive inside (compared to what I am used to).

Great progress.....

Does you bum look little in that ?