400 pound man needs trike

Website
miscdotgeek.com
I'm in a similar position, but at 337 pounds, and with a bad shoulder from a teenage accident rather than a car accident. Too much pressure on the shoulder causes quite a lot of pain.

I'm working on a design that will use standard bicycle wheels much like a commercially available trike. I just bought the steel and will start documenting the build when get started.

As for lacing up wheels, it's honestly not that big of a deal. It's gotta be done right, but Sheldon Brown's website makes it super easy. Don't let that bother you at all. I'm trying to avoid machined parts on my build, we'll see how it goes.

As for bike shops, don't let that bother you either. I never got respect at bike shops until they knew that I was serious and did my own mechanic work. Being a big guy is a hard thing in the bicycle world. AZ is a wonderful place for folks like us... you know... people! :)

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I find that a photograph of a second wheel is very handy - before you pull it apart.

It is not a hard thing to do but you will only find that out after you start. It is more tedious than difficult but should not e at all trying if yoiu are just reassembling a wheel. Can take a while to true it though.

SirJoey

Super Moderator
Seriously, after you are done it will be... "what??? that's all there was to it??"
Now you've gone & let the cat outta the bag.
And here I had almost convinced my wife I was smart, & that
this was a form of rocket surgery not everyone could perform... 😳

Last edited:

IRF

So, as with many things in life, I very well may be making it harder than it is... However, help me with resources for determining what spokes I need to get... maybe source for rims as I'm not sure if I may want new?

Last edited:
Website
miscdotgeek.com
I had a fixed gear wheel built with a Velocity Cliffhanger rim, and even as a large man, unable to unweight the bike due to it being fixed gear (can't stop pedaling) I once hit a big pothole at 20+mph, and it was like it never happened. If I ever get the $$, this is what I'll be buying/building:

https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/cliff-hanger-559

To IRF Take a look at one of those zero gravity chairs, the kind that have grommets down the sides and use a lacing system to apply tension. Make sure the unit is rated for you and if it is all you need is a metal frame and mounting system. I made a mesh seat for my Warrior, it was the fabric from 2 seperate lawn chairs and used synthetic fishing line to stitch it all together. Log onto Bent Rider Online and in the top header click on Recycled Recumbents, the owner Carson offers free plans for bikes, seat frames etc and also sells said parts. In regards to the picture Paul put up, I think without massive bracing and gussets it would collapse. Also with no idea of your budget check out Utah tikes, they offer a trike 2 wd system for about $400. Having said that I,m with Brad on 1 wheel drive is prob enough. If you needed more look into a front hub motor and Golden Motor .ca is one place to look at out of many. Electric assist might be a good thing to get you on the road to your fitness goal

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I use the standard Barnett Williams recumbent seat design, having earlier tried a number of ordinary chair conversions and found them wanting. The fabric I use is called Supermesh - not sure of the spelling. It is high strength, supposed to be virtually tear proof and I haven't managed it yet. This seat design conforms to your body and the tightness of the lacing can be adjusted to suit if necessary. The seat can also be designed as wide as is required and, as you are held more IN it than ON it, it is impossible to slide around.

A seat such as this can be adjusted to give you the positioning and angle that is just right for you. I did consider designing the frame as part of the chassis but that presupposes that the positioning would be perfect - and not modifiable. Unless you are duplicating a previous build, this would be taking a risk on it being correct.

Ain't it all fun?

Website
axerail.coffeecup.com
I just saw an advert on TV for a Victa two-wheeled, electric motor drive tipping wheelbarrow. The front axles were enclosed and what looked like a small differential was clearly visible in the middle of it. Victa was an Australian company that now probably exists overseas somewhere. They make electric lawnmowers, etc.

I wonder if they sell the diffs separately and if they would be suitable for trikes. Did a quick search but couldn't find the wheelbarrow. Need more time perhaps.

IRF

400 pound man no longer needs trike, now it is a 380 pound guy. The trike is still going to be built but if I can keep this up it won't have to be quite so heavy duty...

Go you! Well done that man, that's a fantastic result, keep going. :D