Using various formulae found on the internet for maximum heart rate mine comes out to be around 160 beats per minute. It is recommended that we train at between 65 and 85 percent of Max for at least twenty minutes or around 122/ 128 BPM in my case. I am going to buy a heart rate monitor and try to train accordingly.

I am sure I am going to have trouble just reaching 128 BPM. Even when cranking 105 rpm (low resistance) in the gym, I level off at about 112 BPM after which I must dial in more and more resistance until 122 BPM is reached. This takes about 15 minutes and if I back off for even one minute, for example to get a drink, the heart rate slows significantly and I have to go through the process again.

It is hard to imagine getting the BPM up to 128 and holding it for 20 minutes while pedaling. That would take 35 minutes of sustained effort. I wonder if this experience is shared by other Zombies? If you are training with a heart rate monitor, do you have any advice? Do you have any recommendations as to make and model? Jerry