I'm surprised there haven't been any posts in this section in all of 2009! CycleBully is such a great concept: Turn any bike into an electric vehicle without modifying it, and as a bonus, gain cargo capacity. Count me in!

I picked up some full-suspension donor bikes from a friend's junk pile. One of them was born with 20" wheels, so the rear triangle is already the perfect size! That's assuming the triangle is strong enough. After all, the bike was presumably intended for a kid, so we'll see how it holds up with batteries and cargo. Fortunately, it will be trailing behind me, not supporting me, so if it breaks it will probably be an inconvenience rather than a disaster... I'll swap the shock with a larger one from one of the other two (26" wheel) bikes.

[One of the shocks I'm saving for the seat on my electric conversion vintage hardtail Triumph motorcycle. You heard me right. More on that when I get around to taking pics of the chassis.]

Lots of chopping and not much welding done yet, so I don't have pics of the CycleBully yet. My plan is to build it first as an unpowered trailer, which is still a useful thing, leaving room for the battery pack. Then, next time I replenish my bank account, I'll pick up a motor kit and batteries.

Are there any interesting new motor kits lately? Bargains to be had?

I plan to hitch it to the High Roller I'm building. I prefer not to weld a hitch to the HR frame. The seat post hitch for diamond frame bikes is brilliant: Strong, easy to attach, and no modifications to the bike. Does anyone have ideas about an elegant solution for hitching it to a HR? The obvious attachment point at the rear of a HR frame is the seatstays, but those are narrow tubing, and my HR will have its back brakes (V-brakes) mounted on the seatstays, so the hitch needs to avoid interfering with the brakes. If the seatstays are strong enough to take the load from the brakes, maybe they're strong enough for a trailer hitch. If I place the hitch above the caliper crossbar, almost where the stays meet the square tube of the seat frame, there should be enough strength and it might be out of the way of the V-brakes. The V-brakes I'm using are pretty short.

I'm also thinking about simpler ways to make the hitch hinge, without using wheel hubs. Wheel hubs seem like overkill, since the hinge doesn't need to spin constantly at a high rate the way a wheel does. A simpler hinge based on bushings instead of ball bearings ought to work fine. The demands on the hinge are more like the demands on the pivot of the rear suspension of a suspension bike, which uses bushings instead of ball bearings.

I'll post pics soon.