PDA

View Full Version : Big People's BigWheel

jdblessing
02-21-2016, 01:47 PM
It may be a lot of work, but has anyone attempted to use a front wheel design similar to the short unicycle where the pedals are attached to the axle rather than connected by a chain? Unsure of the feasibility of the concept, but thought it might make for an adult-sized--or at least homemade, sturdier--BigWheel. It might even make it possible to use larger front wheels, with a little bit of modification for steering.

darnthedog
02-22-2016, 01:35 AM
A thought for you. Use a Unicycle hub for your front wheel pedals. Seen some built on youtube. Not sure if anyone has built on on this site other than maybe Sir Joey.

jdblessing
02-22-2016, 03:24 AM
Use a Unicycle hub What can I say but "DUH!" Apparently looking through all the plans I bought gave me a case of tunnel vision. Somehow thought I had to build the hub since that what the unicycle plans called for. Guess it would be much faster to buy one off of ebay for less than $10.

darnthedog
02-22-2016, 10:33 AM
Unless you go for an expensive option like a Schlumpf 2 speed hub the unicycle hub will be a single speed. But it could be mounted to standard fork with some tweaking. But unless your in absolute flat ground it might be a bit of a challenge to peddle up any hill. But I realize there are a lot of flat areas in Texas. I mounted a 36 inch unicycle wheel as my rear drive for the Warrior in progress. Thus why I thought of the Unicycle drive. The Schlumpf drive for Unicycles is just a tidbit I learned about about a year ago as I bought one made for bicycles to use in a couple bikes. And they change their development from Bicycles to Unicycles.

I look forward to seeing your vision when you build this project so please post photos as your building and when finished. Glad my suggestion flipped on the ideas for you.

slippy
02-22-2016, 06:27 PM
By getting rid of the gears you take away some mechanical advantage. You will have to pedal so hard and fast to keep going fast and no real coasting. I think the spincycle setup is better. Easier to go faster with less work. The only way we turned quick on big wheels as kids was by spinning out