PDA

View Full Version : Kickstand for a High Roller?

SactoDoug
05-16-2014, 12:16 AM
I am getting a bit tired of finding things to leaning my bike against. I decided to get a kickstand for it but I came to the realization that it is just too high for all of the kickstands that are locally available.

Has anyone found one off the shelf that works or built their own?

Tradetek
05-16-2014, 01:07 AM
Have you tried welding a piece of rod onto an existing kickstand to make it longer? I know a lot of people use this technique to extend bolts, axles, and what not.

Bill

darnthedog
05-16-2014, 01:26 AM
A suggestion- Have you tried to use a rear wheel kick stand. I don't see them often. But I do see bikes with a kick stands mounted off the rear wheel at the axle. If you can find one maybe you can modify it to fit your high roller.

go1000go
05-16-2014, 03:37 AM
Hi ScatoDoug

Yep I know of your problem, I decided to not bother with a stand in the end, but have you seen this, I only heard of it the other day

http://www.iaminthestore.com/woderful-folding-bicycle-kickstand-for-mtb-gold

Ticktock
05-16-2014, 06:17 PM
The easiest way is to use standard side stand and lengthen it. But an axle mounted stand will probably finish up sticking out past the back wheel when retracted. Better to use one of the stands that mount just ahead of the rear wheel. Also, a side stand fixed at the axle is too far back for most recumbents, -- its better nearer the center of the bike. Not to say it won't work, but the front wheel tends to have a mind of its own if the stand is too far back.
Chances are that you will have to weld it on, or custom make a bracket, but that should be no problem, as you built the rest of the bike!
Steve G
PS--If you can position it so you can push it up and down when seated its a great aid to getting on and off without losing the bike--and saves getting off to raise it when you forget. .
Now I know you would never forget, but this may help a friend!

SactoDoug
05-16-2014, 08:48 PM
Looks like I will buy a cheap one that clamps on in front of the rear wheel on a diamond frame bike then extend it and modify it for my High Roller.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Ticktock
05-16-2014, 11:48 PM
That's the easiest way to go. Find a way to fix the "base" part, then lengthen the leg, but make sure it does not hit anything its not meant to hit--in both positions!
Best place is probably just under the seat, where you can reach it from the sitting position. Thatway its accessible and will give a stable stand as well.
Steve G