PDA

View Full Version : Ways to join aluminum tubing...

schu777
04-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Interesting - I'm in the "thought" process of what I need to do to build a fairing/velomobile around my warrior and in searching the web for ways to join aluminum tubes, I came across a link for this - wonder if anyone here has seen or used this stuff. Video shows it being pretty tough.

http://www.durafix.com/demo/256.html

darnthedog
04-18-2014, 02:57 PM
You may want to Google this stuff- it has been discuss a few time- but it is not welding the material together.
It also has very mixed results.

Tradetek
04-18-2014, 08:04 PM
Looks like brazing aluminum, but with the quality of the web site and the youtube video, I'd venture to say that it is something you'd find at the county fair, especially given that the "company" has the US and Canadian distribution rights... funny, I just went back to the site to confirm my last statement and saw on the main page the official "As Seen on TV" logo. LOL

I'd say it might be interesting for a velo shell, but I personally wouldn't even think about trying to use it to join frame tubes. Also, I doubt that they give you much for whatever they charge and given that the only way you can buy it is by calling a 24hr live operator, but not on-line would make me doubly dubious.

Bill

sandman
04-19-2014, 03:54 PM
I have used this stuff and does have its uses, on video shows a repair to an alternator lug< I tried this as a thread rebuild on a piece of 10mm ali plate and it worked well, the filler is a lot harder than the parent 6082 metal, tried it on 16swg sheet ali and the parent metal tore from the joint however for the sort of uses we have on tube its not a lot of good unless you can heat the entire joint area to a uniform temperature and even then I will say the joint will be weak plus it dosn't anodise and the rods don,t go very far.In my view look for another method, possibly expanding plugs ?
regards
John