PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Philadelphia

VicM
11-29-2013, 12:45 AM
I have not seen any bent yet in the area but seeing AZ Brad's and Spinner Guy finished Warriors got me interested. My focus is to do a Warrior with minimum cost and maximum enjoyment. And the next phase is to electrify one.

The Warrior plan I've read. It is straightforward. At this time square tube and brake disks are on order. Hubs and donor bikes next.

I have a warm feeling that there is a lot of support from this group!

VicM

darnthedog
11-29-2013, 03:25 AM
An alternate method would be to order: rwww.utahtrikes.com/PRODINFO-WizWheelz_Stock_Aluminum_Wheels.html
These are 20 mm through hub and 20 inch already built wheels. Its as cheap as getting them built by your local bike shop.
You can of course build them yourself- But I thought it might be a short cut for you. I spent quite a bit getting my rim and hubs and then more for brakes disc that fit the hubs. I'm not saying you cannot buy parts and build them yourself. This is only an alternative.
I cheated with my warrior as I had to have my 36 inch rim and spokes custom cut with the Nuvinci Hub I had the 20 inch wheels built as well. And the cost of the wheels I have a link to where less than I spent on part and building for the 2 of 20 inch wheels.
Many have been successful building their own wheels so do not let this reply discourage you from building your own. As I said this is just an alternative idea.

Twinkle
11-29-2013, 04:38 AM
And the next phase is to electrify one.

VicM
!
Hi Vic

Welcome to the forum from the UK.

Electrify .............. Oh yes .... Maximum fun with minimal effort ..... Sounds like my trike
Sandman is building his " version " of a warrior with a middie drive where as my two trikes I have electrified have brushless hub motors .
Go for it and enjoy your build and the finished project - looking forward to seeing the photos .. my trike is in my blog .

regards emma

VicM
11-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Hello Emma,

Just slept off that Turkey dinner from last night -- would have been great to work it out with a Warrior! That is still down the road. I will have to settle with my Cannondale hybrid upright for now.

About the electric: my goal is not to use full time because it would require a lot of batteries (and heavy) but rather to assist for uphill and acceleration. Now is that hub motor reversible ie can it generate if desired (to charge back the battery on a downhill). It would otherwise make me lazy.

VicM
11-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the heads up. Every good tip is welcome. I will checkout the 20" rim source. Your step-by-
step captioned photo album is a gold mine. Have you had a chance to test ride yet? How was pedaling effort?
Your driver sprocket is 120T and your smallest in your cassette is probably 11 or 13T and a 36" rim. I did not even know they make 36"!

Is that driver sprocket laser cut solid plate? It must be heavy. Have you considered cutting most of the materials out of the center?

Twinkle
11-29-2013, 08:48 AM
Yawn , just been out to see the new foot bridge about 5 miles from here.
pedalled a few times , but yes it makes you lazy but it gets me out for an hour
some of these controllers can charge / recycle the lost energy on the fast flat surfaces and downhill .
Played at electrifying an upwong with a my1016 motor that made a cheap ebike.
I am using SLA batteries As the weight doesn't matter on a trike if the cg is low enough .
regards Emma

darnthedog
11-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Drive sprocket is very light for its size. As it is so big I don't want to weaken it with hollowing it out. It was CNC machined by a custom gearing shop for me. It is aluminum. I'm not even sure it will hold up but until I get it on the road I won't know. It will be throughly tested before taking it to the time trials of course. That would be a laugh- Go to time trials- Ready set go- rip goes the sprocket.

Its a 16T rear gear is the smallest that the Nuvinci hub accepts and passes a chain over.
The 36 inch rim is from a Unicycle parts store online. The Coker is a large touring unicycle.
Unfortunately due to many different issues this trike has not been completed yet. Time-money-family-home seem to get in the way every time I pull out the welding gear.
It is in the same state as the last photo. Not sure when I will get to finish it as I just discovered a major roofing issue which is going to take a lot of my cash from me over the next several months. Thus it is on hold. Glad the photos give you ideas to help you build yours.

VicM
11-29-2013, 09:32 AM
I am just waking up.

Weight matters -- when you pedal especially uphill. Have you considered using LiIon or NiMH? I have an upright hybrid and when I go uphill a 2% grade (no wind) I have to downshift and work harder. When I go down the same grade with a headwind, I need to pedal because I am a "sail". I am sure you are not experiencing the latter because of your trike. Right?

I was just looking at darnthedog's build. He has on the making possibly a speed record-breaking Warrior!

VicM
11-29-2013, 09:38 AM
Priorities, priorities, ...

Does it rain in Az? Did you know roof leaks only if it rains? Buzz me when you resume.

Good luck.

Ticktock
11-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Emma,'
Weight does matter, its only a matter of where you are--if its dead flat it does not matter much---if there is even a hint of a hill, you need blind-folds on the trike so it cannot see what's coming up! Beijing is as flat as a tack, until you ride a trike, then there are slight hills everywhere! Trust me, I have done the same miles on the same roads on an upwong!
Won't go back to the upwong as I have sold it, but the hills do exist. This is the reason why I push for a good range of gears on any trike--it does matter.
Overall, the bent trike will come out ahead, but not up a hill !!!!!!!!
Steve G

On Edit --At least the trike will get up any hill where you can keep peddling, as you can't fall off (depending on other factors over which I have no control)

VicM
11-29-2013, 12:16 PM
Excuse me what is an "upwong?"

Planning for the sprockets: on my hybrid (30 lbs) with 26" tires/crank 28T/cassette 32T (lowest gear combi) and my weight 138 lbs (fit but not very athletic), I really crawl on a 15% grade. That being said I may need more teeth on the cassette (or less teeth on the crank) to be able to move the incline. Bearing in mind the Warrior is an additional 20 lbs more.

Steve, what is your low gear combination? I imagine you have a 26" drive wheel.

Vic

darnthedog
11-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Vic
For a standard Freewheel or cassette Warrior rear wheel I might suggest a 11 to 36 tooth Mega drive. You can even get as high as 41 teeth today I discover recently if your running a cassette. That will give you a very nice range to climb those hills. See www.niagaracycle.com/categories/sram-pg-1030-10-speed-11-36-cassette or www.niagaracycle.com/categories/dnp-epoch-freewheel-10sp-11-34-nickel-plated for a freewheel hub.

Ticktock is in China so UPWong is his funny way of saying upwrong which we call non recumbent bicycles.

Twinkle
11-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Emma,'
Weight does matter, its only a matter of where you are--if its dead flat it does not matter much---if there is even a hint of a hill, you need blind-folds on the trike so it cannot see what's coming up! Beijing is as flat as a tack, until you ride a trike, then there are slight hills everywhere! Trust me, I have done the same miles on the same roads on an upwong!
Won't go back to the upwong as I have sold it, but the hills do exist. This is the reason why I push for a good range of gears on any trike--it does matter.
Overall, the bent trike will come out ahead, but not up a hill !!!!!!!!
Steve G

On Edit --At least the trike will get up any hill where you can keep peddling, as you can't fall off (depending on other factors over which I have no control)

Ok Steve ,
point taken , I'm lucky , the trike isn't blindfolded , and the maximum hill around here I can climb in a 45 " gear but my trike's gearing does go down to 20" from 86 " just in case I need to pedal it home .:taz:

The weight difference of 40lb for a push trike jumps up to 100 lb for the voyager with Brushless hub motor and 48 volts of 12 ah SLA batteries , (Life4 batteries would be nice but expensive) .
Still I am getting lazy as I can do about 12 miles at a sensible speed , keeping up with local traffic when necessary, on a single 4 hour charge, climbing the local hills as if they weren't there . :evilgrin:

The MKII (push trike ) is still unfinished and I'm trying to get that down in weight to under 35 lbs but I am waiting for bits to arrive :confused:

regards emma

graucho
11-29-2013, 11:03 PM
Hey Vic welcome!
Good points from everyone.
This bike is front wheel drive 48v 1000w. The same manufacture as Twinkle's (emma) My 2 cents on an
electric set up is this. This bike is 140 lbs. Plus my 215 lbs. totaling 355 lbs. My trick for extended
miles is find your average cruzing speed (mine is 15 mph) and find a gear that matches perfectly at that speed.
medium unstressed pedaling while your crusing will give you 2 benifits. First... give you 33% more out of your SLA batteries.
Second... when you return home you can actually say you went for a bike ride while trying to wipe the grin off of your face.
Point is... Always match your gearing/pedaling the speed you travel. I get 8 miles not pedaling. 12.5 miles pedal assisted with minimal exercise.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll13/grauchosbikes/Loboy%20fat%20tire/aaaa.jpg (http://s284.photobucket.com/user/grauchosbikes/media/Loboy%20fat%20tire/aaaa.jpg.html)