PDA

View Full Version : Steering a quad recumbent using fork's steerer tubes

geekiad
11-26-2013, 12:11 PM
This is my first message.So greeetings to you all from Turkey.I am building a quad recumbent.I am planning to use two threaded forks in the front that hold the wheels via QR.How can I steer that forks using their steerer tubes?What parts do I need?I am a newbie on both DIY and AZ.So I need some "serious" help.So thanks in advance.

Twinkle
11-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi And welcome from the uk

Might be worth you investing in the streetfighter plan all your questions will be answered .

regards and good luck with the project

emma

darnthedog
11-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Welcome to the fun. I would second what Emma said and up it to the six pack of plans to include the Tricruiser as Brad uses the forked tube for that type of steering arrangement.

Tradetek
11-27-2013, 02:43 AM
As DTD said the steering design that you are looking for is in the "Tricruiser (http://www.atomiczombie.com/TriCruiser%20Winter%20Ready%20Tadpole%20Trike.aspx )" plan.

You will want to get a six pack of plans as it will save you a lot of money and time in the long run. Pick 5 more plans that have design ideas that you like and then if you need one more to complete the pack, get something that looks like fun or beneficial for someone you know.

Definitely get at least one with the steering bars above the frame. The plans are all really long "outlines" how to build that model, but you will quickly discover that you want to mix up the plans and that is where the power of the forum really helps.

Bill

geekiad
11-27-2013, 06:46 AM
Thanks for your answers.Now I know I should start with Tricruiser plan.If I need further help in the process, I may be back with some more questions.

Ticktock
11-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Hi,
Welcome from China!
The advice to get a six-pack of plans is sound advice---they become your reference library when you need a bit of help, or just a new idea. If you get Street fighter and Tricruiser in the six-pack, you get two different front wheel setups, along with two different steering systems. This alone should give you some ideas. Then add in a Tadpole such as warrior, and a Delta , Timberwolf or Deltawolf, then any two that take your fancy. I think the only question that is left unanswered by that selection is how to build a Unicycle, and there's even a plan for that.
Have fun,
Steve G,
Beijing