PDA

View Full Version : Probably answering my own question

bikeham
11-25-2013, 10:51 PM
Hi Guys,

Ive practiced prior and having good luck welding my 16ga tubing. Following the puddle, welding 2 inch sections and giving it the hammer test in a vice, pushing to near burn through as possible without burning through (most of the time...). And have already welded parts of the frame.

My front wheels will be coming in soon for my Streetfox and i have my 1/2" tabs and steering tubes made. My welder is a 40/70 amp box so i probably should tack weld the tabs in place to the steering tube and pay the welding shop around the corner the $10-$15 they quoted to do this. Since these welds are the only thick metal to thick metal weld. I'm concerned i won't penetrate well enough and dont really want to bevel down the tabs. Had a time making them out of 1/2" stock. Dont want my wheels to fall off.

What think?

Im on the lookout for a deal on a 220v lincoln buzz box but that may take a while to get a deal. Watching the local craigslist and auctionzip sites.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Tradetek
11-26-2013, 04:20 AM
If having a pro weld the tabs for you will give you peace of mind, then definitely do it. I'd give them both parts separately though and tell them the specific angle needed between the two parts and show them how they should fit together and then have them do all the welding.

This will prevent you from getting to parts with different angles because they won't be able to say that they just completed the welds in the position as you had them tacked. This will make sure everything gets done correctly in case one of the tacked tabs gets bumped out of alignment.

Bill

Twinkle
11-26-2013, 04:31 AM
Hi

personally I would make up a small jig so BOTH are IDENTICAL then. once they are back, weld the tubes to the cross beam .

regards emma

Ticktock
11-26-2013, 07:12 AM
There is a good chance that a smart welder in the shop would knock up a quick jig just to get them identical, but its good practice for you to make the jig!

Steve G

bikeham
11-26-2013, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the jig idea guys. Sounds like that will work.