PDA

View Full Version : Problems with space saver wheel ?

stormbird
11-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Hi all

Maybe not building the Vigilante but I am building the back wheel show in the plan maybe to use in my own chopper.

So I have welded my spokes together [ using 5 ] as per the plan and decided to cut a piece of wood the same diameter as the inside of the wheel then measure it to find out where the middle is.

Ok no problem with that however when I turn the piece of wood inside the centre of my rim ;-

for about 6" of inside circumference the distance it is to tight to fit it in
for about 1" or 2" of inside circumference it is ok
for the rest of the inside circumference the distance it is to large and it can fall out !

Should I scrap the wheel and move on to the other one I have ?

I assume it is oval ?

edspedalcars
11-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi all

Maybe not building the Vigilante but I am building the back wheel show in the plan maybe to use in my own chopper.

So I have welded my spokes together [ using 5 ] as per the plan and decided to cut a piece of wood the same diameter as the inside of the wheel then measure it to find out where the middle is.

Ok no problem with that however when I turn the piece of wood inside the centre of my rim ;-

for about 6" of inside circumference the distance it is to tight to fit it in
for about 1" or 2" of inside circumference it is ok
for the rest of the inside circumference the distance it is to large and it can fall out !

Should I scrap the wheel and move on to the other one I have ?

I assume it is oval ?

Hi stormbird

You might have a look at my 'Turnbuckle Spoke Wheel' thread.
It's not using the same spoke method, but it shows how I went about finding the center for my wheels.
It may give you an idea how you might find and tack weld in 'your' spokes.

Check 'Turnbuckle Spoke Wheel' thread, Post # 169. (Tried to copy- didn't work)

I did the same as you, only with a piece of cardboard. In my case I wasn't looking for the center, exactly,
but as a template, for where to drill the spoke holes. I had the same thing happen, when I turned my cardboard, there seemed to be a difference in measurement. First thought is, that's the best way to go about finding the center. Maybe Not? What I did in post 169, got me to near perfect.

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6559&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1363816467

You could also set up a roller system, (even if temporary), to check for the wheel being out of round.
Or you could mark of segments, as I did on my cardboard template and take measurements across at various points.

http://forum.atomiczombie.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6823&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1365312011

Hope this helps in some manner.

Enjoy
Ed

P.S. Remember the method I used for truing, involved adjustable spokes. You may need to allow a little 'slop' in your spokes and wedge them,
as you bring it into true center. Then tack weld as necessary.

Tradetek
11-20-2013, 09:30 PM
Take the wheel and set it gently on a piece of "clean" cardboard
then set a piece of wood or something on top of it to give you a safe platform
then carefully stand on it or press down on it hard enough to make an imprint of the wheel in the cardboard
Then you should be able to determine accurately if the wheel is out of round

I'd do this on both sides, you can probably just see if the second side sits in the imprint of the first side, just to make sure that both sides are round.

If the outside of the rim is round, then I'd be surprised if the inside was out of round and would double check your "template".

If your wheel and template are both round, then you are probably dealing with either extra metal from when you removed the center of the wheel, or that you are having issues keeping your template perfectly in line with the center of the wheel.

Bill

Ticktock
11-21-2013, 04:24 AM
Hi ,
This is a good time to make the usual request----can we have some pics of this so we really do know what we are talking about.
It is most unlikely that a space saver rim has enough use to get bent unless it was in the back of the car that got hit.
Steve G,
beijing

stormbird
11-21-2013, 04:43 AM
Hi all

Plenty of good ideas to try thanks , yep will take some pictures shortly.

I did think the hub was out but not in diameter ! as I had to pound it both sides to remove the centre I noticed that on one side only the lip nearest the tyre was marked by the tarmac it sat on , however on the other side the lip and some of the inside of the profile had contacted the tarmac indicating that the centre was bulging out on one side in relation to the lip ?

http://s20.postimg.org/73r6pptxp/space_saver_rim_sm.jpg

In the end the centre only need to be found in relation to the rim and not where I have pounded the wheels actual centre out , also I have the tyre still mounted which I hoped to keep but it is making thinks harder.

Ticktock
11-21-2013, 04:55 AM
Paul,
Simply run a tape over the wheel in a few different directions. You should not get more than 2mm variation on any good rim. If more, then you have to decide what to do with it. Remember that you cannot "true" it in the same way you can with a bike wheel. Main problem will be an out of round error, as you will feel that as you ride. a slight wobble will not be felt (even if it can be seen---trust me here, I have seen so many bent wheels here in China that run well you would wonder why we bother to true a wheel)
The little pic is a bit too small to read, and won't enlarge on my system.
Sounds like your wheel may have had a bit hard use, so if you have another to check , it may well be the way to go, but I would still be a bit surprised if your wheel (as a space saver) is of no use. One tends to avoid using them as much as possible, unlike the normal spare wheel that can get almost as much use as the front or rear.

Steve G