PDA

View Full Version : SafeFlame welding torch

FrankCrank
11-05-2013, 11:35 PM
.....here's an interesting article:

http://www.gizmag.com/safeflame-water-flame-torch/29673/

....in fact, it almost sounds too good to be true! If the claims do however turn out to be correct, and the price is right, could be the best thing since sliced bread, at least for hobbyist welders :)

...and it's being funded by the European Union - who said they were as much use as a chocolate kettle? :surprised:

TexasTuff
11-06-2013, 12:39 AM
This brings back memories of high school chemistry class where we had a 10 gal fish tank with a positive and negative probe in the tank and each probe inside a glass tube around it. Hydrogen came off one probe and oxygen off the other. I forget which came off negative which off positive. We then combined them in a Y tube and had a flame at the top which turned the gases back into water. That was my favorite experiment behind igniting magnesium. Man, that was a long time ago.
I did a Google search to check the BTU's of hydrogen. It only has 2100 BTU's vs acetylene's 2500 BTU's. I'm not sure it is hot enough to weld steel but I saw notes that they used hydrogen during WW II for welding aluminum. Their ability to separate the gasses right at the point of use is really cool though.
Now, I wonder if you could combine those gasses inside a cyclinder with a piston and have a non-poluting engine. OH, surly not!
Thanks for the link Frank

George

Tradetek
11-06-2013, 02:02 AM
My favorite part of the story... "There's no word on pricing, although the developers have reportedly found a way of reducing the amount of platinum required for the electrolyzer, in order to help keep costs down."

Today's spot price for platinum was $1454 USD per ounce...

Bill

SirJoey
11-06-2013, 02:23 AM
Today's spot price for platinum was $1454 USD per ounce... Maybe I should cash mine in....

Hmmm... $1454 per oz...
:thinking2:

**** The Truth Is Out There! ****
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
(Geezer & Bent Enthusiast At Large)

bambuko
11-06-2013, 04:51 AM
Ever heard of hydrogen embrittlement?

ps google hydrogen welder and you will find it is very old technology

trikeman
11-06-2013, 10:08 AM
A long long time ago, there used to be a guy on the forum who used a medical oxygen generator and propane to braze. He built some great looking bikes. You can buy the oxygen generators on eBay and Craigslist for reasonably cheap. I got interested in it for awhile, but never pursued it. Of course he wasn't making Hydrogen at the same time. I have read that oxy-hydrogen is good for welding aluminum.

bambuko
11-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Oxygen generators are very good solution indeed and they might be cheap in US, but here in UK they are extremely expensive (I would prefer one instead of the bottled oxygen I am using).