PDA

View Full Version : Heads-up warning for 26" wheels

FrankCrank
10-29-2013, 11:00 PM
....until a few days ago, I thought that a 26" wheel was....er.....a 26" wheel. Wrong, I now know they come in as many as 5 different sizes, according to the oracle, Sheldon Brown.

ISO 559mm is the size used on most mountain bikes, but somehow I managed to pick up a pair of ISO 571, or 650C wheels. This would explain why the nice new tyres I got for the wheels don't fit
properly, and are all wonky on the rims. Will still use them as I don't feel the wonkiness out on the canal path I ride, and they'll do till I get another set of wheels from the UK.

The oracle goes on to state 'Frequently confused with the 559 mm size, since both are commonly referred to as 26 inch'

So, if see a set of bargain wheels, run a tape measure over them first, just in case!

Here's the bike I've recently cobbled together, weighing in at a spritely 11.5kg. Replaces the bloated Mongoose that my brother-in-law is now using - he lives in a hilly area so can make better use of all the gears, suspension and disk brakes.

http://s24.postimg.org/3u2f2xtxt/image.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/3u2f2xtxt/)

Not all bad news with the new bike, by fluke I have hit upon a 'magic gear' combo, no need for a chain tensioner :)

MrIdaho
10-30-2013, 08:03 AM
HEY! what's that you's doing. Infiltrating a standupy bike into a superior recumbent bike website.
NOTE if you is riding this standupy monstrosity then you are here by banned from AZ

LOL

FrankCrank
10-30-2013, 08:57 AM
....heh heh, I know, many on here want to reach for the angle grinder as soon as they see an upwrong, but it's made of aly so not worth chopping up - that's my excuse anyway :evilgrin:

Racer46
10-30-2013, 01:43 PM
....heh heh, I know, many on here want to reach for the angle grinder as soon as they see an upwrong, but it's made of aly so not worth chopping up - that's my excuse anyway :evilgrin:

With that nice low top tube it would make a good Cruzbike conversion.:evilgrin:

TexasTuff
10-30-2013, 02:40 PM
With that nice low top tube it would make a good Cruzbike conversion.:evilgrin:

That was my first though but alas no suspension.

MrIdaho
10-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Get a butt like Kim Kardiasion for a suspension on the seat---lol

FrankCrank
10-30-2013, 08:06 PM
....no suspension......no gears.....just the basics......don't need any of that stuff in the rice bowl of Asia. Thinking about adding a coaster brake, get rid of all those untidy cable and levers, yeah....might just do that......