PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln Century 80GL mig welder woes

MrIdaho
08-28-2013, 03:39 PM
I purchased this welder several months ago and it welds very well except for one little issue--the wire feed to amperage / metal thickness is way outta whack. Only thing I have been able to do is have the amps set to LOW and the wire feed set to max (yes I tried tightening the wire feed wheel) then weld very slow. Welds are ok but if and when I need to weld thicker metal I won't be feeding enough wire to keep up with the higher amperage. Only thing I can figure is the spring that prevents the spool of wire from unrolling is too tight against the spool. I tried relieving spring tension with finger and it seems to work but before I grind down the spring length I ant to see if anyone else has this same issue.

MrIdaho
08-29-2013, 12:29 AM
I think I did a fix that works.Using a piece of sandpaper I sanded about 2-3 thousands off the spool retaining hub. Now I need to lower the feed rate as the welds are too thick on low welding 16G box tubing. Will find out tomorrow just how low to set the feed rate speed and compare to the chart on the machine.

kempracing
08-29-2013, 09:49 PM
What size wire are you using , if you are using .023 wire try a roll of .035 , the bigger diameter wire will make up for the wire speed and you should be able to turn the speed down , easy way to know if the drive rolls are slipping is to look for fine shavings around the drive wheels , just my two cents hope it helps

MrIdaho
08-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Using .035. I think I fixed it by sanding about 3thousands off the hub that presses against the spool. Now I am getting welds that are too thick so backing off on wire feed speed.