PDA

View Full Version : Check This Out- Clarke reconditioned welder for $30.25

TheKid
07-12-2008, 03:16 AM
I haven't dealt with this company, but they say they ship in 3 -5 days.

http://www.tool-mall.com/index.htm

They also have Clarke reconditioned grinders for 13 bucks. At these prices, something tells me the Clarke welders are no better than the HF Chicago Electric welders, or that Clarke tools are in the same league as Chicago Electric.

gbbwolf
07-12-2008, 04:09 AM
I wouldn't say that I am using a freinds clarke130en mig welder at the moment.
And I have nothing bad to say about it at all.

Normally it is about a 400 buck welder.

I see it on there for 160 bucks.

If I had 160 bucks I would buy it today.

I mean most 110 volt migs only have a 20 % duty cycle at 60 amps, unless you get a high dollar one.
At least this one will run 40%.

Hmm time to start saving my penny's cause I just found a metal cutting bandsaw there for 120 bucks and a welder for 160.
Wonder what their shipping cost's run.
Oh well will be awhile before I buy anything new But I bookmarked that website. LOL

Just my .02 cents.

Nelson

TheKid
07-12-2008, 07:30 AM
I have a cheap flux core wire welder that works fine. But I've been hearing bad things about other Clarke tools, so I'm wondering if that's not the case. I'll have to ask my neighbor about the welders. He thinks I should step up to a Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart, just to get the cold stinger until the trigger is pulled.

trikeman
07-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Some of the guys on this UK forum think very highly of Clarke.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

Here is a quote from one of their posts comparing European welders:

CLARKE
+ Points:- Overall best build quality with a reliable wire feed unit & the nicest quality torch in it's class.
- Points:- Hardly any really. The only gripe is dealing with a large national chain of 'counter sales' staff.
OVERALL: 8/10

There is some dissention, of course the full thread is here:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=661

I think the Millers, Hobarts, and Lincolns are much more expensive in Britain due to tariffs or something. It is interesting to read the comment from one of their posters on how great our American (and that includes Canada where parts of my Hobart were made) machines are. I don't know if they are the same as the Clarkes imported by Northern Tool, but I assume so.

Doc Hollywood
07-12-2008, 09:02 AM
I have a Clarke 100EN Turbo that I have been using for a long time. It is a great lttle welder. It is well built. No problems. It has a 30% duty cycle at 100 amps. I use gas with it. It has a really nice gun. With Flux core I have welded 3/8 plate once everything was prepped correctly.

I attached a few photos of the inner wire feeder.

I am selling mine because I just bought a hobart 187.

gbbwolf
07-12-2008, 06:21 PM
Looks like the same wire feed control in this clarke 130en I am using.
This one the wire is cold until you pull the trigger.
Uses standard tweco tips.

Thing is I read somewhere can't remember where, that this welder is made
by same factory that produces the miller welders.

All in all This is a decent welder I have never hit the duty cycle shutdown even once.

The spool mechanism is kinda tricky to get right tension when installing new spool of wire.

Seeing how it is just a spring loaded knob.

Other than that it worked great for me.

And I have never even seen a mig welder before.

Last time I welded was over 25 years ago in shop class.

Nelson

trikeman
07-12-2008, 06:46 PM
The Clarke is definitely not made by Miller, although they are both blue. Most Clarkes are made in Italy. Several Hobarts and Millers are made on the same assembly line, now that ITW owns both companies.

gbbwolf
07-12-2008, 06:53 PM
was miller and hobart you are correct sir.

Nelson

trikeman
07-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Many the smaller lines (stickmates, thunderbolts, Handlers, MillerMatics etc) of Miller and Hobart are made in Appleton Wisconsin. Depending on the welder, some or all of the parts are the same. Miller targets business users, and Hobart targets home users more. I think the warranties may be better on some Millers.

TheKid
07-12-2008, 07:00 PM
I just looked up my welder and discovered it's not all that cheaply made. The same one now comes with a cold wire. I'm starting to have problems with the wire not feeding, and I have to shim the tensioner to get it to feed. I hoped it might be the roller. I changed it, but the shim is still needed. I tried to find a new liner, but I don't know where to get parts for this thing. I can't find them online, and the people who sell it don't carry the parts. Is there an inexpesive universal trigger and hose assembly? If not, for a little more than the assemblies I've seen, I could buy another welder, probably the Clarke 125EN.

Mike
07-25-2008, 02:44 PM
Well took the plunge and ordered the WE6490 for a total of $54.40, including shipping ($20.00). Already have a cheap HF flux core, wanted to try the 7014 rods, so needed a cheap ‘buzz box’ to supplement my wire welder.

I’ll post back on my ‘purchase experience’ from Tool-mall.com

Mike

zobman
07-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Call Clarke USA and ask for the nearest dealer to get parts, or have them ordered for you!

macka
09-19-2008, 08:22 PM
I talked the wife into letting me order the mini lathe, for 120 bucks, I can knock out a ton of adaptors for here, and when I get my shop up and running. :D

trikeman
09-20-2008, 11:25 AM
I talked the wife into letting me order the mini lathe, for 120 bucks, I can knock out a ton of adaptors for here, and when I get my shop up and running. :D

I must have missed something somewhere. Where did you get a mini-lathe for $120 bucks? I assume it cuts metal?

macka
09-20-2008, 02:17 PM
its on page 2 of the tool mall site and its 140 not 120. Yes its a remanned lathe, but its a darn site cheaper then a lathe locally and Its more then adequate for the parts I'll be making with it.

savarin
09-21-2008, 07:12 AM

Ohhhh! you lucky so and so.Tell me the secret please:confused:

macka
09-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Ohhhh! you lucky so and so.Tell me the secret please:confused:

She has my lip marks on her butt :D seriously though she wants an industrial sewing machine for leather and whatnot. So that's what she is getting for Christmas.

trikeman
09-21-2008, 03:55 PM
its on page 2 of the tool mall site and its 140 not 120. Yes its a remanned lathe, but its a darn site cheaper then a lathe locally and Its more then adequate for the parts I'll be making with it.

That is a great deal if these guys are legit. Did you find out what shipping charges would be on the lathe?

macka
09-21-2008, 05:29 PM
That is a great deal if these guys are legit. Did you find out what shipping charges would be on the lathe?

110 FOB to Niagara Falls NY

Locutus
09-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Well, I couldn't resist the prices, so I bought some tools from Tool Mall, which arrived today. They're all Clarke brand and are all reconditioned, not new. They all seem to work, except the drill press is labeled as having a laser centering guide, but darned if I can get the guide to turn on. I assume it's activated by the small switch on the side. But I couldn't figure out where the laser output is. I sent an email to the seller. Let's see whether their customer service measures up.

I bought a Drill press, 4 1/2" angle grinder, cordless 14.4V drill and an auto-darkening welding helmet. All this for about $100 US, including shipping.

gbbwolf
09-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Batteries in laser guide?
Some take batteries.

nelson

theDude
09-29-2008, 09:13 PM
I just received my auto-darkening welding helmet. It's at least as good as the one at HF. It makes welding quite a bit easier. With my old helmet I always had a hard time getting it in just the right position when I flipped it down so my welds would usually be way off course even before I started. When off it's like looking through light sunglasses and it switches on faster than my eyes can detect. I'm very happy with it.

Richie Rich
09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
I just received my auto-darkening welding helmet. It's at least as good as the one at HF.... I'm very happy with it.
Where did you get it..????

<RR>

theDude
09-29-2008, 10:32 PM
too-mall.

http://cart.tool-mall.com:2500/EXEC/5/0bi3brg0iawxxb10vd0tm179jtyx

If that doesn't show up just search too-mall for "auto helmet"

Richie Rich
09-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanx......nice price...!!

..<RR>..