PDA

View Full Version : Right hand pilot ? Gotta ask

Gerald_G
07-08-2013, 05:14 PM
Alright, it's starting to bug me. I read somewhere that the plans explain why the right hand drive.
I am curious, but don't own the plans yet.

Would it be outrageous to ask for the reasons here ?

darnthedog
07-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Not sure I understand the question or how it pertains. But I will give a guess.
The drive gears on the used bicycles will become unscrewed if they are on the left side if they are a freewheel. Some bottom brackets ( the pedal) so unscrew if placed on left. Hope that answers the question. I am assuming your asking about the the drive chains and such.

Radical Brad
07-08-2013, 07:05 PM
I am guessing you are referring to the fact that the person on the right side steers the trike?
You can build it either way, but I decided that it would be better to have the pilot closer to the curb so that they could negotiate the distance between the vehicle and the curb better. Since this is a slow speed vehicle, it has to live near the curb so cars can pass, and I found that it was easier to keep close being able to be on the right side of the trike.

If you are actually talking about the "drive", then both wheels are driven on the Kyoto. It is a fully independent dual drive system on both rear wheels.

Brad

Ticktock
07-08-2013, 09:21 PM
To clarify the answers----
The Pilots seat is located on then right according to Brads reasoning, applies to USA and others that drive on the right hand side of the road. Those that drive on the left hand side of the road can drive on the left side if they wish. It does not matter to the bike--its up to you--you can have two "steerers" if you wish.
As to the drive train, Darnthedog is correct that BB threads used on the wrong side, and pedals on the wrong side will unscrew, but this refers to each separate side .IE the left side drive must have a left pedal on the left and a right pedal od the right, and the right side hand drive must have the same thing-left pedal on the left, right pedal on the right
same with the chain rings and freewheels at the back---they must face the same direction as if they were on a normal bike. Does not matter which side of the trike they are on.
Its two bike systems side by side, and each must be a complete , normal bike system.
Hope that fills the loopholes I could see getting bigger
Steve G,
Beijing

Gerald_G
07-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Thanks folks. Yes I was meaning pilot seat. I know Brad is in Canada, so I wondered about why it was piloted from the right.

I re-read my question, and can now see how it was ambiguous.