PDA

View Full Version : Aurora recycled

go1000go
06-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Just wondering if I were to recycle my back seat driver into an Aurora, whether having the seat height at 22 inches (560mm) will be stable enough?
http://forum.atomiczombie.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2206&catid=member&imageuser=2477http://forum.atomiczombie.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2206&catid=member&imageuser=2477
My plan is to do a quick modification tomorrow, fixed rear and easily removable seat. Still have two wheel drive via jack shaft and ratchet drive. Over boom but under seat steering.

If I get lot of use from it them look to incorporate suspension later.

edspedalcars
06-21-2013, 04:20 PM
Hi Tim

Looks Great ! Nice clean build.

How timely, as I have wondered about doing the same, as a future build.
Though I was thinking of keeping the seat correspondingly closer to the frame.

Now I have an idea what it might look like.

How stable is that to ride?
How good are those brakes?

Ed

go1000go
06-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Hi Ed
It is indeed a fine craft the back seat driver, it is stable and the brakes work just fine.
However the size of this fine craft is such that it takes up too much room in the garage and I am not getting the use from it I thought I would, the roads round here are just too busy.
Therefore hence the rebuild to a slightly shorter build, Aurora style, that I can store up ended.
I will be taking many of the features from the original to this third or even fourth reincarnation of this machine, affectionately known in the house as Big Yellow.
So tomorrow the grinder is out and let the sparks fly.

edspedalcars
06-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Hi Ed
It is indeed a fine craft the back seat driver, it is stable and the brakes work just fine.
However the size of this fine craft is such that it takes up too much room in the garage and I am not getting the use from it I thought I would, the roads round here are just too busy.
Therefore hence the rebuild to a slightly shorter build, Aurora style, that I can store up ended.
I will be taking many of the features from the original to this third or even fourth reincarnation of this machine, affectionately known in the house as Big Yellow.
So tomorrow the grinder is out and let the sparks fly.

All I got say is.....OH!! NO!!

I guess you gotta do, what you gotta do. Good luck on your reincarnation.

Enjoy
Ed

Maybe you could turn the main beam into a telescoping beam. Then you could have the best of both worlds. Thought somebody posted something similar, where they could convert between tandem and single seat. If you collapsed the beam you would have a SWB solo tandem, or expanded, a LWB tandem.

Just looked at it again.

Pull the front chain, use a shortened steering linkage, slide beam back into rear beam, lock, load, and RIDE!!

Sit back , accept any and all compliments.

Just points to ponder while your sharpening your cutting tools.

Good luck

Ed

Ticktock
06-21-2013, 09:31 PM
Hi Tim,
As has been said many times when we talk about trikes---everything is a trade off. If your seat is at 22 " , it won't be as steady as an Aurora with the seat about 6" off the deck.
But then you will lose out on the safety of "see and be seen" from a higher seat! I find around 15 to 16 inches works fine for me--can see, can be seen, and it takes a good try to get a wheel in the air.
'But 22 inches will work--just test the limits before cornering at 100mph!
Steve G,
Beijing

go1000go
06-22-2013, 12:53 AM
Hi Ed
Yes it is an OH NO moment.
But big yellow has seen a few of these already.
This fine craft started as a street machine, but this never got made beyond the basic frame as it appeared too long for the garage.
So some hacking later and it became a quad
http://forum.atomiczombie.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3214&c=9
Which brings us up to date when it was hacked into back seat driver, as per your OH NO.

I think I saw Sir Joey (apologies if not you) had a street machine that he could change the front section to become a trike, change the back section to become a marauder, change the front section to become a .... And so on. At the time I gave this some thought as to whether to go the same way. You have just rekindled that thought process.

Thanks for the comments, they are always welcome, hacking is fun, but there are times when you have to consider whether you are doing the right thing, but space is space.

Will post photos later today of the outcome from today.

Tim

go1000go
06-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Hi Ed
Sorry just seem the image insert did not work, have added it gallery
Hopefully this works nowhttp://forum.atomiczombie.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=3214&catid=newimages

Tim

go1000go
06-22-2013, 01:16 AM
Hi Steve
Thanks for the info, 19 inches is achievable without too much hacking and then possibly 17.5 inches with a little bit more effort.
100mph wow, have just seen some of the calculations on the thread of what will speed will a trike achieve thread and saw your comments there.

To get to 15 to 16 inches seat height is more likely in phase two of this hack, as per my first post of this thread.

So in summary, today out with the grinder, reduce seat height, change steering to be under seat and reduce boom length - maybe making it adjustable for easy upsizing back into a version of as it is now, as per Ed's comments.

Then ride it for a while.

Then all being well - phase two hack again into Aurora with suspension and lower seat.

Thanks again for the comments Steve, also noted the demise of your person carrier, nothing stays the same forever.

Tim

go1000go
06-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Got the seat to 22 inches, it looks great.
Shortened the frame, just started sorting remote steering.

go1000go
06-23-2013, 04:15 AM
Here is a photo from yesterday's efforts
http://s21.postimg.org/cmdjdolqf/image.jpg

Remote steering and jack shaft to locate

go1000go
06-28-2013, 03:32 PM
Had some more time this evening and got to this stage
http://s18.postimg.org/kj4d5xrop/image.jpg
Really pleased, need to perhaps cut the remaining upright that does nothing now, although considering a chain guard perhaps so this might be used as a mounting point.
Also want to take some of the weight out of the jack shaft mount.

The steering worked out really great, clears everything and easy to install.

TexasTuff
06-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Hi Tim, looks great. When you cut off the extra post, you might want to want to put a smaller lighter one in it place for mounting a cycle computer and/or mirror. I've always had problems having a place for computer and rear view mirror with underseat steering. Looks very clean though.

George

go1000go
06-28-2013, 04:50 PM
Hi George
Thanks for the compliment.
Had not given much thought to accessories, other than the chain guard, thanks for the thought. i will probably mount a small ruck like I did on my front runner project, as when I ride a conventional bike I always take a a few tools and a tube etc.
I have a bit of an idea for a small portable axle stand to help getting to the rear tubes and tyres in the event of a puncture.
Will keep you posted.

Tim

Ticktock
06-28-2013, 10:29 PM
Axle stand is a good idea-- for both wheels in your case. As , if I remember correctly, this has a free wheel "diff" . If you do get stopped in the wrong gear, you need BOTH wheels of the ground to be able to change gears while stopped! This is one reason I did not put my ETG on the small trike for the wife, and why I will add a similar stand on the left wheel so she can get out of trouble if needed.
Bike looks good--should be a heap of fun.
Steve G

go1000go
06-29-2013, 04:06 AM
Hi Steve
Yes you are right is does have the freewheel diff and I had overlooked the issue you mentioned, yet again another good reason for this tremendous opportunity to share on this forum.

So axle stand is a must then.

Also found that this one bike can be stored upright so I just need to think about the seat back a bit because I would like to leave it attached but not crush it when I store it.

No more building this weekend, moving one daughters house contents into storage today, then out of storage and into her new rental on Monday. My next eldest has her eighteenth birthday bash tonight, probably more celebrations tomorrow (she must not know our plans), then her actual birthday Monday. All good things happening.

Tim

Ticktock
06-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Although our two bikes are different, they overlap in many ways. I too can store upright if I have to move it into the lounge(???) or the phone booth. but want to put a biggish box on the back, and do not want to damage the box. Similar problem. probably finish up with rubber pads on the box. But build box first , then solve the next problem while using box!
You could use a fold up (or down) (or remove) strut just to keep the weight off the seat. under seat steering really pays off when you talk talkabout vertical storage!
Steve G,
Beijing

go1000go
07-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi folks
Well Sunday was different to planned and got an hour in the garage tonight resulting in
http://s22.postimg.org/okvgoty75/image.jpg

Really pleased with the steering
http://s13.postimg.org/hdw99t7w7/image.jpg

Been for a quick test ride, wow it is quick
Need to add a few more links to the chain and patch up the paint work

TexasTuff
07-02-2013, 05:47 PM
Really nice looking job, Tim. Hope you get many miles from it.

Tradetek
07-02-2013, 10:33 PM
So either that creation is deceivingly short, or you have some really long legs!

go1000go
07-03-2013, 02:29 AM
Hi TexasTuff, thanks for the comments.

Hi Tradetek
The photo does look a bit deceptive, but nothing altered or enhanced, maybe it is the seat that provides the optical illusion. The wheel base wheel centre to wheel centre is 69" and the wheels are bmx 20" diameter. I left a bit extra in the frame just in case I needed to but the cranks a bit further forward as on full stroke my legs are still slightly bent, but even so I am only 6foot tall and I assume my leg length is still in proportion to most others.

Ticktock
07-03-2013, 02:42 AM
I found then same thing--get up and go from standstill is amazing compared to an upwong, or even the old Personmover, which was not slow!! Nothing beats me off the mark--not even cars--they catch up quick though! And I'm still running two gears low because I can't get one derailer to behave!
I also find I am spinning and mashing less, which is a bit more tireing at first, but I think I'm getting used it to it, and it bgives much greater speed range inb all gears, som the change over on the trike has been very educational.
Your beastie looks good, just a bit high, but you will get used to that if you take it easy (?) at first, and learn to throw a bit of weight around!
Steve G

SirJoey
07-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Fantastic looking machine! :punk:

Love the seat! :)

**** The Truth Is Out There! ****
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
(Geezer & Bent Enthusiast At Large)

socialtalker
07-10-2013, 03:35 AM
is that steering rod connected directly to the gooseneck stem or the handlebar? i cant quite tell, they look fused together.
beautiful job on the rebuild.

Hi folks
Well Sunday was different to planned and got an hour in the garage tonight resulting in

Really pleased with the steering
http://s13.postimg.org/hdw99t7w7/image.jpg

Been for a quick test ride, wow it is quick
Need to add a few more links to the chain and patch up the paint work

is quick because of the mid drive/ rachet thingy you created?

Ticktock
07-10-2013, 04:10 AM
Hi ST,
I will jump in ahead, as Tim is probably still asleep!
The sreering rod does have a lever there--but you have to look close--its well disgused in the photo!
And it seems quick because of the sudden decrease in weight! Just been there , done that. It really is quicker, but seems more so because you get instant results when you push half as hard!
I knocked around 20kg of Personmover when converting to single seat, and it does show up !
Steve G

socialtalker
07-10-2013, 03:00 PM
ok, thanks!

go1000go
07-10-2013, 03:37 PM
Hi socialtalker

Here is the close up
http://s23.postimg.org/4h934c28b/image.jpg

How I managed this was really very sneaky, do not tell anyone else!!!!
I shortened the head tube, as you will be able to see.
For the steerer tube (the inner tube) I actually shortened this by grinding the bearing tube until it was loose, slid it to the desired length,
http://s11.postimg.org/ywl3m0s37/image.jpg
cut it to desired length and welded it to the steerer tube.
The head tube was welded in place then I fitted the steerer tube upside down, ie the equivalent of the fork facing upwards.
Welded the tab for the remote steering, then welded a handle bar clamp to this to hold a set of standard mtb bars.

Hope this helps.

As for the speed the weight loss equated to 17.6kg wow

Tim