PDA

View Full Version : Flux's Aurora

fluxican
05-29-2013, 11:59 PM
1st day, lots of learning with new tools and materials... never really worked with metal before. Figured out the image gallery tool so I will post some pictures of the build there. Only took one picture today... just before I welded the first endcap. Got 95% done with the rear frame... found out that cut off saw I bought isn't like a compound miter saw cutting wood... not very accurate.... next time I'll be checking the angle of the saw itself first. Ended up a bit short on both of the end axle supports left came out to 7 1/2 and right is 7 1/4... damn cut off saw they are both supposed to be 8. Anyway I checked the plans and think i will still have enough clearance. If not I will just have to fix it I suppose.

Cheers,
Flux

darnthedog
05-30-2013, 12:44 AM
Best to mark your cuts and follow the lines rather than depend on the cut off saw accuracy. That way you can be sure it is cut correctly. Personally I tried a cut off saw and found Brad's methods easier and cheaper metal wise. Although I sometimes use a sawsall.

Ticktock
05-30-2013, 08:23 AM
You only need enough clearance for the disc brake against the cross member, and just enough room for the bolts on the pillow blocks, so if you have your discs already, just check that clearance, then see if you have room for the bolts Good bet you will have room.
Steve G,
beijing

fluxican
05-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Yep, just waiting for the bearings before I can check to be sure. Brakes & rotors came super fast, but well they shipped from CA which is just one state over. Steve, I looked at your people mover and freakin love it... darnthedog I'll be checking out your pics next! Now lets see where I can get a spoke tool in this town.

Ticktock
05-30-2013, 08:47 PM
Hi, If you liked the Person mover--you will love the next one ! Its a well guarded secret at the moment.
Steve G

fluxican
06-01-2013, 12:37 AM
Got my bearings and brakes, haven't checked the clearance yet... did a bit more welding and got the seat rough cut out so far. picked up tubes and tires for my rims and found a spoke tool... got a decent donor bike as well, so I think I pretty much have everything except for odds and ends at this point. couple more pics for the gallery

fluxican
08-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Added photos of the build to a picasa album at the following link:

https://plus.google.com/photos/112277685623209894419/albums/5910299022260384273?authkey=CJ_a3uyd6ZLQOg

Completed up through the rolling frame today. I have the parts to do the seat flanges & steering next... I'm starting to try and figure out the transmission. One of the bottom brackets I was planning on using is aluminum, but I think I have a steel one as well, just need to see if it is standard size and I can upgrade or transfer the 3 piece crank I have from the other donor over to it. Waiting on ball joints from an online order as well... couldn't find them at the local hardware or autoparts store.
I probably need to track down another set of handlebars as well... All in all it is starting to feel like the home stretch... for the most part everything has been easier than I anticipated, but since I have never worked with metal before it was much more time consuming toward the beginning of the build... starting to find an easier rhythm though & learning that this stuff really isn't rocket science just cause I haven't done it before.

Little safety note... glasses do not count as safety goggles or a face shield while grinding... make sure you when you start out you use serious eye protection... every time!

Cheers, Fluxican

fluxican
08-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Getting ready to cut out the flanges for the bottom bracket and I am really hoping that it will not conflict with the steering rod. I think I should have created the bottom bracket first before actually installing the control arm. Not a huge deal either way. The steering works great and really all I have left is to customize the bars, cover the seat back, do the bottom bracket, transmission and brakes... I'm sure some of the fabrication for the brake and derailleur mounts may be a bit time consuming, but I do feel like I am on the downhill of this project now. photos of the project so far are at https://plus.google.com/photos/112277685623209894419/albums/5910299022260384273?authkey=CJ_a3uyd6ZLQOg

fluxican
08-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Got the flanges cut, and the bottom bracket all cleaned up. I used a 1 piece crank bottom bracket and then retrofitted a 3 piece crank adapter that a fellow bike enthusiast had laying around ( $10 my cost ) ... now I can take the cranks from the "evil" aluminum mongoose. After assembling the bottom bracket for a test fit there seems to be no conflict with the steering rod... I guess I was worried about that for no good reason. If there does end up being a conflict then it should just be a matter of cutting one new steering flange.