PDA

View Full Version : installing a 220V outlet (Canada)

sewtechwayne
05-05-2013, 11:58 AM
Hi everyone. I'm getting impatient waiting for an electrician to come install a 220V outlet for my recent addition, a used Lincoln AC225 welder. Can anyone explain the steps involved or point me in the right direction? I have a dryer outlet near an outside door that would work great but I don't know if that is safe to use for the welder. Also can the power cord on the welder be extended? In another part of the house I'm renting there is a 240V line going out to an outbuilding that is going to be demolished soon. The landlord is ok with me using this line. Could I install an outlet on the outside of my house using that line?

charlie_r
05-05-2013, 01:05 PM
Best to be patient and wait for the electrician.

By asking, you have admitted that you know little about electrical wiring and the Canadian electric code, which MUST be adhered to.

If you do it yourself with limited knowledge in this area, and there is a fire -- whether started by the wiring or not -- guess who gets the blame and will have to pay for all damages. As I understand it, ANY problems associated with DIY electrical installation, there are possibly very heavy fines etc.

Play it safe, and have a qualified licensed person do the install.

Charlie

darnthedog
05-05-2013, 01:20 PM
First off- What Amp breaker is going to the two 240 lines. I had the same thoughts on the dryer but it is only rate for 20 amps and the first buzz box I got required 50. I don't have that buzz box anymore. This meant the wiring in the walls were too small to run the buzz box at almost any setting. The out building line may have a better chance depending on the Amp rating of the breaker going to it. It may have been more of a shop and had higher rated wire to carry the load. The problem is you cannot just change the breaker if the wiring won't carry the load because it will get hot and possibly burn down the house. Extensions can be used but you again you need a large enough wire to carry the current or it could get too hot and burn up. The rated input current for the AC225 is 63 amps @ 220 VAC. So you'll want 75 amp capacity. And that requires 4 gauge wire if you run it up to the max limit of 63 amps. But that is just a quick check using online charts. You have to use power transmission and not chassis wiring charts. I'm not an electrician, thus this is only a questiment based off my experience of wanting to do my own home. Hope that helps.

sewtechwayne
05-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Thank you for the advice. I don't want to do anything unsafe that's for sure. I will wait for an electrician.
Best to be patient and wait for the electrician.

By asking, you have admitted that you know little about electrical wiring and the Canadian electric code, which MUST be adhered to.

If you do it yourself with limited knowledge in this area, and there is a fire -- whether started by the wiring or not -- guess who gets the blame and will have to pay for all damages. As I understand it, ANY problems associated with DIY electrical installation, there are possibly very heavy fines etc.

Play it safe, and have a qualified licensed person do the install.

Charlie

sewtechwayne
05-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks darnthedog. The outbuilding was used for a walk in cooler and other orchard farming needs so it possibly has heavy enough wire. As per charlie_r I will wait for an electrician to make the decisions.