PDA

View Full Version : where to get stem sized tubing?

Evox_Rider
04-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Has anyone had any luck finding the 7/8" OD thick walled tubing that we could use for longer stems? Will be checking around tomorrow at local places but not holding my breath...guess may be able to order it from welding shop where got the other square steel. Would like to just make a longer stem instead of welding a section of tube onto the gooseneck for my Spirit build, its a scaled down size for kids so the handlebars will not need to flow back too far at all but just rise them up. So was thinking if could find the right sized tube, to just get a length of threaded 3/8" rod and use it as a long stem bolt.

SirJoey
04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Here's a page of framebuilding & misc links.
U may be able to find wot U seek here:

http://www.gaerlan.com/bikeparts/frame/links/links.htm

Hope this helps. :)

**** The Truth Is Out There! ****
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7131/sirjoeysigmedij1.gif
(Geezer & Bent Enthusiast At Large)

Tradetek
04-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Before looking for tubing, you need to determine which tubing you are looking for, because you most likely are using terminology incorrectly...

The tube connected to the forks at the "Fork Crown" is called a "Steerer Tube".
The Steerer Tube goes through the "Head Tube" from the bottom and extends above the top of the Head Tube.

When using a THREADED headset, the tube that slides into the Steerer Tube is the "Stem" and is commonly called the "gooseneck" because it also is what clamps onto the handlebars, which causes it to form a "gooseneck" like bend.

When using a THREADLESS headset there is no "stem" or "gooseneck" there is a "Steerer Tube Clamp" which is used to lock the headset in place and also connects to the handlebars.

So... from your description it is hard to determine if you are actually looking for a longer Steerer Tube or a longer Stem because...

Stems are not threaded so you could be talking about the Steerer Tube, but because you refer to a "bolt" and Steerer Tubes do not use bolts, you could be talking about the Stem which uses a bolt and a compression wedge that tightens up against the bottom of the Stem, inside of the Steerer Tube and "wedges" the Stem in place. The bolt actually goes through the top of the Stem at the bend and screws into the compression wedge. There are not any threads on the Stem itself.

Let us know which tube you actually mean and then we can help guide you better.

Bill

Evox_Rider
04-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Apologies for the unclear terminology, I should have looked them up beforehand. I was referring to extending the stem height, but as it turned out, I found that 1/2" black pipe from Home Depot fits perfectly into the steerer tube so was able to use a section to raise the height of the bars. I lucked out and found some M8 threaded rod at hardware store, I welded a nut on one end and trimmed it to length. Not sure if I'm happy with the bars yet, might use a different type, the pilot didn't seem to mind them but she is just all excited about the cool bike papa is making her...lol.

darnthedog
04-11-2013, 10:33 PM
That is a pretty cool daddy project. Looks like they might be a little high but you need to verify knee clearance before reducing the height. And while not completed I can already see the grin from ear to ear. Good job.

Tradetek
04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Looking good and glad you found something that worked.

Don't sweat the terminology thing, people use the "wrong" terms all the time here but as long as we can figure out what is meant we work it out, just realize that sometimes people are going to ask you to clarify what you mean.

It might be helpful to review the info at this page: Anatomy of a Bicycle (http://www.bicycling.com/sites/default/files/uploads/BIKE_ANATOMY.pdf) it has just about everything properly identified other that the breakdown of the fork tubes.

A complete fork assembly is composed of the Steerer Tube, the Fork Crown, the Fork Legs, and in the case of suspension forks, the Stanchion Tubes.

In addition to my previous post, the Fork Crown joins the Fork Legs together with the Steerer Tube (in low end bikes Fork Tubes may be bent at the top and joined directly to the bottom of the Steerer Tube).

In a suspension fork, the Crown is connected to the Stanchion Tubes instead of the fork legs, and the Stanchion Tubes slide into the Lower Fork Tubes. They are typically joined together by a bolt that extends through the Stanchion and is secured to the bottom of the Lower Fork Tubes.

Unfortunately, there is a great deal of confusion (unknown by most) about the proper terminology of bike frames, so you really do have to try to picture what is described and determine what is actually meant.

I don't normally correct anybody unless there is enough conflicting info for me to not be able to clearly figure out which part is actually meant.

Have a good one, and enjoy your conversion to being a Zombie,

Bill