PDA

View Full Version : VigKill - Started something and finished something else....

Fathom
03-23-2013, 02:11 PM
I started a Vigilante Chopper just after Christmas, I got hold of a space saver spare and started the hacking process. As it went on the back wheel just wasn't right and I just couldn't get it to run true and so I scrapped the wheel and made a spoked version which worked much better from the Overkill Plans. I had already started the Vigilante frame so in the end I ended up with a Vigilante frame and an Overkill rear wheel and Overkill transmission. All in all it worked really well I used steel tube which I had in my stock pile however it is structural steel so has quite a thick wall making the frame quite heavy however when I make my next bike probably a Loadrunner I'm getting some ERW thin wall tube!!!

My back wheel is a 14" wheel as I had some 14" Yokohama A048 race tyres which look brilliant but have thick steel belts which are approximately 5% stronger than me and I just could not fit them by hand and got my friendly tyre fitter to fit the tyre for me. Using a 14" wheel means that BMX spokes will not fit and had to use an 18" wheel instead, getting stainless steel spokes was impossible and so I scrapped 3 18" wheels and selected the best of these spokes for the rear wheel.

For the transmission I found that welding up freewheels was not only messy but due to the cheap Chinese construction they would not hold together very well so I found some "fixie" rear sprockets that when screwed and welded to the shortened hub not only looked nice and neat was also nice and strong too.

The front sprocket was originally a standard 39T steel sprocket giving a ratio of about 2.5:1 and with the weight of the bike and the torque required to get the bike to move often made the chain jump and so I fitted a tiny 22T front sprocket giving a 1.2:1 drive ratio which meant its much easier to get the bike off the line and also up slight hills and kerbs but it does limit your top speed but its a fun cruiser not a racer.

When it came to the steering tube I seemed to select the only tube with non standard bearings and didn't realise until the end and was lucky to still have the bottom bearing cage but the top one was rusted away and so there are loose bearing in the cup. It still works just a bit of a pain that I didn't check at the start its not like I don't have a lot of spare parts!

Finally I decided to stick with the matt black paint job I was thinking of camo but went back to black, black is easy especially if you nick the paint as its an easy touch up. I got a black front rim with a smooth road tyre. There is a single calliper on the front brake which is enough to bring it to a halt and I managed to get hold of an old 1950's sprung saddle to complete the look. All it needs a a rear mud guard and some lights to finish it off. Finally if you are on the east coast of Scotland in Fife have a visit to Bikeworks in Glenrothes as they recycle old bikes and I got a lot of stuff from them and they are always interested in unusual bikes.

darnthedog
03-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Regardless of how you got there it is pretty darn cool looking. Good Job.

Radical Brad
03-23-2013, 04:59 PM
Yeah, great ride! Thanks for sharing.

Brad

Tradetek
03-23-2013, 07:19 PM
Looks good.