PDA

View Full Version : Finally !! new ac/dc tig welder

higgy7511
03-23-2013, 01:26 PM

Here we go-been quiet for a while as i have been saving up to get a new ac/dc tig welder-okay so its a china one but for less than 400 pounds I am quite impressed with the results and it came with a foot pedal.
I loved building the warrior so much that I decided that I would build one out of aluminium so here it comes.still using 37mm box section with 1.5mm wall as i love the look of the box section-gonna be ultralight just wonder what the strength is gonna be like ? gotta build it to find out :builder2: so will keep you updated as i progress.
Also looking at building one with round 4130 cromoly tube :)......no stopping me know with the tig .I was wary of the chin welders but I couldn't afford over a grand for a murex and its got a years warranty from a uk company so it was worth a punt and got myself a large W size bottle of argon to keep me going :punk:

darnthedog
03-23-2013, 04:31 PM
Very cool- I was trying to get an AC/DC rig to attempt similar but mine arrived with the front crushed in. So I was out of luck as it was a one off item. AmaZon was great in taking it back. When building the warrior you may have to add addtional frame work or struts to support the Aluminum. Say from the Seat tube to the rear forks. Just something to keep in mind. I can hardly wait to see the results of weight difference. So keep on Tigging ( is that a word?) and keep us up to date. Have fun.

Tradetek
03-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Welcome to the club!

FrankCrank
03-23-2013, 07:50 PM
...yes indeed - welcome to the club.

My recent new welder is DC only, so no ally for me. I'll be attempting a trike in stainless in about 2 months from now after my hols in UK, and the frame will be 1" x 2" x 1mm rectangular section. This is as thin as I dare go - you're very brave to attempt 1.5" square 1.5mm wall thickness in ally - and guess only way to find out is to try. Some gussets/braces will no doubt be required.

Been making shelves for my kitchen to get some practice in - all good fun.....

richl
03-23-2013, 08:25 PM
Woo! Cool deal! :) Sometimes its the best way to learn, just dive in and do it :builder2: (<=== see the cool construction worker )
Engineering is nice, but so is testing your own limits... it usually ends up cost me tiem and money, but others seem to be able to do it just fine :)

Good Luck, cool project!

Rich

higgy7511
03-24-2013, 04:42 AM
thanks for all the comments and ideas.I will be welding on extra struts and braces as the 1.5mm wall is a bit weak but hey its a learning curve-luckily I got the aly cheap so not gonna lose much if it fails but I have faith hahaha

higgy7511
03-31-2013, 12:20 PM
right---quick update on the chinese welder--do not buy one of these they are total rubbish-it lasted about 2 weeks then died so now I have to post it back at my own expense before I can get a refund.lesson learned---stick to well known,branded machines with good back up.read up on some major horror stories about these wse200 welders-aw well back to ebay to bid on a miller or murex :(

trikeman
03-31-2013, 01:20 PM
Bummer!!! I was gonna ask if you were going to have it heat treated when you were done, but I guess its a moot point now.

darnthedog
03-31-2013, 01:22 PM
Sorry to hear of your troubles- I thought it had a year warranty
. Are they not going to fix it? Unfortunately I have read of horror stories with Lincoln and Miller as well. Big issue is having a local rep that can actually repair which ever unit you get. Not just a sales rep as they only do what your doing and send it off to who knows where to have it repaired. I suspect the issue is the inverter technology which make the small light weight units. It's all circuit boards inside. Not hard core transformer with iron core to handle the current of welding. Don't get me wrong I really like the light weight units. But I wish they would not have so many issues. Plus they have short duty cycle. Y
For example with a 35% duty cycle your only supposed to run roughly 3 minutes and let it cool for 7 to 10 minutes before using again. That is to allow the internal semiconductors time to cool. Anyway sorry to hear of your troubles. The first welds were looking in good.

Tradetek
03-31-2013, 05:57 PM
DTD, for our needs duty cycle isn't a problem. My Lincoln V155s is rated for 100% at 75 AMPs, and you use about 60-65 AMPs for 16 gauge steel.

Higgy, sorry to hear about you welder.

FrankCrank
03-31-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi Higgy,

Sorry to hear about your new welder - I was really looking forward to seeing your aluminium trike - hope you can still have a go a bit later.

I think the fact that it was made in China is not the issue, or even the fact that it was 'cheap'.
Crucial thing for me when I bought mine was having the backup and support if things go wrong. Shop is less than an hours drive away and they carry all spares and have technicians there who can fix it while you wait - couldn't imagine it being easier.

Before I found this welder, I was going to fetch one back from the UK from a company called R-Tech Welding. They sell models in a similar price bracket to yours, and from what can I gather they offer excellent backup and support - might be worth checking them out as an option......but depends how things pan out with your present welder. R-tech use parts from China, circuitry from Europe, and assembled in UK I think.

Like I say, 'Made in China' gets a lot of bad press - some of it deservedly, but some not. In fact, try to buy something that isn't made there - not easy......

higgy7511
04-01-2013, 06:30 AM
6722well this is how far on i got before the welder went pop.most of the mainframe was welded and was about to line up wheel arms and finish main boom.also bought some small diameter tubing to weld on for bracing struts.hopefully I will have a new welder within a week and can continue with my experiment---and yes it is very light !!!

charlie_r
04-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Sorry about your welder, real bummer there.

There was a discussion a year or so ago about using aluminum for bike frames. Can't remember the thread, but you can search it.

The general gist of it was that anytime you weld thin aluminum you create stresses in the aluminum itself that will need to be relieved. This can be done by heat treating the finished frame. Might be a good idea to look into this, before you ride it. Without the stress relief, you stand a good chance of the metal breaking next to the welds, at least according to that discussion.

I don't know if it can be accomplished by gentle heating and quenching each section, or if it would have to be done whole assembly.

Charlie

Tradetek
04-01-2013, 12:27 PM
I was curious about the same thing Charlie. I had done all the research on 4130 to confirm that it did not require pre or post heating when working with thickness smaller than .120, but hadn't paid much attention to aluminum since my TIG is DC only and aluminum requires AC for TIG, but now that I tried to look, I really couldn't find much except from a couple of welders and bike builders that conflicted with each other.

However they all seemed to agree that the aluminum HAZ will age and strengthen over the week following welding and that the welds should not be stressed until at least a week had passed.

higgy7511
04-05-2013, 12:30 PM
6801well new circuit board turned up for welder yesterday.got it I stripped out and fitted new one and its all working fine now.pretty happy with the customer service for ltsuk so far.got the front wheel booms all welded on and looking good.just gotta make up some bracing struts for rear and possibly something across the wheel booms if the prove too flexible but all in all a very light project so far and now the aluminium welding is mastered i'm fairly pleased with the results so far :)

Tradetek
04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Is "Itsuk" really the name of the company? Because phonetically I'd say that as "It Suck" :rolleyes4:

Glad to hear that you are up and running again. Would have hated to see your investment go down the drain.

Bill

darnthedog
04-05-2013, 02:10 PM
From it's rubish to customer service is really good in 5 days. Glad to here the repair was quick. But I agree with Tradetek in that the name "Itsuk" would have me wondering altogether. You look like you have a good roller going there. Have you sat on it yet to check the flexing?

Again glad to see such a fast repair.

FrankCrank
04-05-2013, 07:47 PM
....looking good so far, and potential stress areas correctly identified from what you say, and what can be seen in the photos. The rear fork joint to the frame looks particularly vulnerable, but I'm sure can be overcome. Welder story not as bad as I imagined, thought you had to send the whole lot back? Anyhow - looking forward to the next update.......