PDA

View Full Version : Frank's new welder

FrankCrank
02-26-2013, 02:51 AM
…yes, now have my first ever welding machine to play with. It’s called a Rilon TIG200A, and comes with all cables needed to do TIG & MMA, and a set of guages - very chuffed!

Had looked high and low for a decent budget welder over here, but all looked cheap & nasty, so had resigned myself to fetching one over from UK on next trip there in April.

Anyhow, serendipity was smiling as we headed off to the shopping mall – wife happened to mention we would pass by a welding shop and did I want to look …..yeah, OK, why not, just for a look. The shop is amazing, or should I say 3 shops in one. Showroom shop has all the welders and cutters, next door is a store full of spares, and the other side a workshop and racks of lovely, gleaming stainless steel. Wow – couldn’t believe it, and best of all they were doing a promotion so got the welder at half price. Owners speak good English, so that was another plus. They only stock one brand – Rilon – but do spares for all sorts.

Got some thin guage stainless offcuts to practice on as well, but need to get a bottle of argon at the weekend. Did a bit of MMA – just burned off a couple of sticks – and works great.

In the shop they insisted I have a play on their demo unit, which was a bit embarrassing as I haven’t struck an arc in about 26 years as near as I remember. Also treated myself to an auto darkening helmet, and really makes it all so easy.

First project will be some kind of welding table, then....mmm....let me see......

Ticktock
02-26-2013, 07:34 AM
No stopping you now!!!!
Steve G

graucho
02-26-2013, 08:51 AM
Great story. And sounds like you have the wife to thank for it. There should be more of those kind of shops where you can "get your feet wet" and try the merchandise before buying. Ohhhh, your going to have fun.

Radical Brad
02-26-2013, 09:41 AM
Looks like a nice rig. Make it sing!

Brad

Penola
02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Nice wife :-D

Tradetek
02-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Graucho... I thought you going to say "There should be more of those kind of WIVES" :laugh3:

Frank... nice, think you will really enjoy TIG'ing. Check out videos on YouTube by weldingtipsandtricks (http://www.youtube.com/user/weldingtipsandtricks/videos?view=0&flow=grid) and weld.com (http://www.youtube.com/user/Welddotcom/videos?view=0&flow=grid)
They both give really great info and instructions and spread their info out amongst all kinds of metals, including Stainless. The big warning on TIG'ing stainless is that you need to "back purge" (bath the back of the weld area) with argon during the weld or corrosion will eat the weld from the inside out. Interestingly, I've actually seen new welding tents specifically for metals that need to back purged so that you fill the entire tent with argon and bath the whole piece on both sides all at once and only need 1 argon source!

Have fun,

Bill

trikedoc
02-26-2013, 12:20 PM
Thats Sweeeet!

river
02-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Wow nice set up. i;m jellous. Your going to see a big difference in your projects.

richl
02-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Tig seems to be the ticket for some of the different metals that can be used on bikes, I am envious of your for new rig, and that great wife!

Congratulations!

Rich

FrankCrank
02-27-2013, 10:59 PM
....thank you all for your kind words. I'm sure the new 'toy' will prove to be a fun and a good investment. Will start out doing a few projects around the house to get some practice, but my ultimate goal is to build my mk2 trike in stainless. Will be back in UK for holiday in Apr/May and will fetch back some components, and then set about the build - of course will log it all and share on here....

Ticktock
02-28-2013, 08:37 AM
My wife does things like that simply because I can't read all the signs in this strange language.
Tables are turned when we go back to Australia.
Steve G

FrankCrank
02-28-2013, 08:20 PM
....that's exactly it Steve, if there was a big sign in English saying 'Welding shop' then I'd have been there long ago. We must have passed by this shop hundreds of times over the years as we drive along and I would never have known it was there. Doing the rounds here now visiting steel/fabrication shops just to see what they have, four so far and a few more to go.....

FrankCrank
03-05-2013, 09:44 AM
...well I've managed to make a welding table, or should I say top, as that's all it is really. The stand is from the BBQ, good height when sitting, and I have an old steel stool to put it on to go a little higher. Maybe if I do loads of welding and it gets nice and hot I can put some steaks on top :)

Had a go at some TIG welding on stainless as well

...sorry, photography is not my thing really, first time I used the macro setting on the little snapper...

Tradetek
03-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Nice job with the TIG, you might think about not grinding the welds down on your next bent project, that "stack of dimes" looks really nice on weld joints on a "bike".

FrankCrank
03-06-2013, 07:17 AM
....same as I was thinking Tradetek - if the welds are half ways decent then a quick wire brush, and a quick rub with a green scourer, and leave it at that....

Ticktock
03-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Looks good Frank--if they all come out like that you will save a fortune in grinding discs!
Steve G

Tradetek
03-06-2013, 12:14 PM
Note, bathing the end of the weld in argon gas for about 10 seconds while the weld cools is supposed to help prevent that pinhole from forming at the end of the weld.

I don't have a pedal or thumb amp control, so I quickly pull the tungsten away from the metal to break the arc and then move it quickly back in to provide the post argon flow. Haven't quite mastered the motion, but it will come with practice once I'm able to get back out and do some real work.

Bill

FrankCrank
03-06-2013, 08:16 PM
....you're right Bill, that pin hole is annoying. I do have quite a long post purge - around 10 secs, so I think something else may be causing it. Will experiment more and see if it goes away. Heat build up is a problem on thin guage stainless (1.5mm), so might be good to just weld an inch and leave to cool a little....

trikedoc
03-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Looks good Frank--if they all come out like that you will save a fortune in grinding discs!
Steve G

I'm with Ticktock. Really looks good. Good friend of mine has one of HF's small inverter TIG's. Sent me this no BS welding site

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

Al

Tradetek
03-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Yes, weldingtipsandtricks.com and weld.com are both great resources and both post weekly youtube videos on different welding topics.

Weld.com's "Mr Tig" has several videos specifically about using TIG for Stainless Steel. I have a playlist (http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL02523121254839EE) with a bunch of their video's already in it as a starting point for you.

Also, "Mr Tig" will respond to e-mails with answers to specific questions.

FrankCrank
03-07-2013, 11:37 AM
...thanks a lot guys, plenty of training vids to watch there - how did we ever manage before the internet came along?......

Tradetek
03-07-2013, 01:38 PM
BTW, www.WeldingWeb.com (http://weldingweb.com/) is a great place to get feedback on your TIG welds. Lots of Pro welders in their forums.

trikedoc
03-07-2013, 01:56 PM
...thanks a lot guys, plenty of training vids to watch there - how did we ever manage before the internet came along?......

It was called Trial and Error The Dark Ages I still have my stone hammers and bone chisels around here somewhere

charlie_r
03-07-2013, 06:28 PM
It was called Trial and Error The Dark Ages I still have my stone hammers and bone chisels around here somewhere

You mean you don't use them anymore? I still have mine on my workbench, waiting for the snow to melt!

trikedoc
03-07-2013, 06:54 PM
You mean you don't use them anymore? I still have mine on my workbench, waiting for the snow to melt!

I would use them IF I could find them! As one who was diagnosed at an early age with I.N.T.A.A(I Never Throw Anything Away) It now takes longer to find what I am looking for than I can't remember why I was looking for it. It's to cold to work in my shop But it does have a roof and walls Unlike some Zombies that relish standing in butt deep snow while welding
Al

Ticktock
03-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Hi trikedoc (I checked carefully this time)---it's ok--you still have one more stage to go through before its a lost cause.
Its when you can't remember why you are looking for something, and you can't remember what it was anyway, that you are in trouble!
Steve G (well that was my name-I think it was ---or was it ---)

dmac257
03-08-2013, 02:17 PM
...well I've managed to make a welding table, or should I say top, as that's all it is really. The stand is from the BBQ, good height when sitting, and I have an old steel stool to put it on to go a little higher. Maybe if I do loads of welding and it gets nice and hot I can put some steaks on top :)

Had a go at some TIG welding on stainless as well

...sorry, photography is not my thing really, first time I used the macro setting on the little snapper...

WOW . i am impressed by your welds .. looks like someone with years of exp .. i might look at getting a small lift arc TIG for my first welder .. what gas do you use for TIG? and can you do aluminum with yours?

dmac257

Tradetek
03-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Dmac, TIG generally uses 100% Argon as the shielding gas, and gas is required.

In order to use TIG for aluminum you need a machine that can do AC in addition to DC (used for steel).

Bill

darnthedog
03-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Just an FYI 100% argon is used with all tig welding from what I have been told. Use can use helium mixed when you need more heat that your tig welder can provide, but it is not required otherwise. Aluminum requires A/C and from looking at his panel it is only a D/C rig. But it works great for steel and stainless.

FrankCrank
03-08-2013, 07:44 PM
...yes it's just plain argon and yes my machine is for DC only, not AC.

Aluminium - nah, not for me - life's too short for messing round with that stuff :)

A TIG box is a giant leap from a flux core spatter gun. No offence to anyone who has such a blaster, but it's like trying to drive a nail with a lump of rock instead of a hammer - would be so much easier with the right tool. I know everyone's circumstances are not the same, and cost of argon is prohibitive in some places, but it is a shame.

Anyhow - will be away for week or so on some hols, so excuse me for not doing any replies for a while....