PDA

View Full Version : lacing wheel question

jpsantell
02-17-2013, 02:02 PM
I'm lacing the wheels today and am to the point where I have to give the hubs a twist to install the 3rd set of 12 spokes. The video I'm watching shows the hub being twisted to counter clockwise. Does the direction of this twist matter when lacing the left and right hub? Do I need to twist one, one way and the other the opposite way or do I twist them both counterclockwise and the heck with it? Help!

trikedoc
02-17-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm lacing the wheels today and am to the point where I have to give the hubs a twist to install the 3rd set of 12 spokes. The video I'm watching shows the hub being twisted to counter clockwise. Does the direction of this twist matter when lacing the left and right hub? Do I need to twist one, one way and the other the opposite way or do I twist them both counterclockwise and the heck with it? Help!

did you check out Brad's totorial?
http://atomiczombie.com/Tutorial%20-%203%20Cross%20Wheel%20Lacing%20-%20Page%201.aspx

Ticktock
02-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Hope I reasd this correctly! If you have on set of left and one set of right spokes installed, you can usually twist the hub either way to tighten all the spokes into something that looks remotely like a wheel.
Then you start adding the other spokes, and you can't twist the hub.
At our level of work, it will not matter in the least which way you twist it, but it does determine which way the final two sets of spokes go.
Hint though, is to twist so as to leave as much space around the valve hole as possible.
First time, best to read through Brads tutorial, and just do it his way, then the second wheel is easy. Third one blind folded????
Steve G
Beijing

Radical Brad
02-17-2013, 10:13 PM
The twist depends on if you are lacing a left or right handed rim. It's about the position of the spokes over the valve hole. You don't want the stem to collide with a spoke. After reading a few tutorials, this will make more sense.

Brad