PDA

View Full Version : Shorty Coroplast Streamliner/ Velomobile

Fauchet
02-04-2013, 06:45 PM
So I don't know whether to call this a streamliner or a velomobile. They seem to be from two "traditions" - the HPV guys from the 80's called their speed freak contraptions streamliners, and were mostly 2 wheels. The euro-vironmentalist/ neo-luddites call theirs velomobiles, and are mostly 3 wheel. I'm bigger on being dry and looking nifty than accurately streamlined aerodynamics.

Anyway, I'm slowly plugging away on my neo-luddite 2 wheeler extra-low speed commuter. Part of the design spec is to make something I can park in about the same space as a bike, hence the short wheel base. Eventually if this works out, I might get into being a real zombie and weld up a nicer looking frame, something like the AZ Spirit.

The squiggly/blobby lines are musings on shapes for coroplast &or plexiglass. The red laser lines I am shooting out my eyes are musings on where I might want to see or could see. I'm thinking of a smoked plexi strip under the cyclops eye to see potholes up close.

Fauchet
02-12-2013, 06:10 PM
mlfiedler[/B] (http://forum.atomiczombie.com/member.php/3173-mlfiedler);70745] Pardon my interruption of this conversation, but I just read, "enclosed 2 wheel commuter project".
AWESOME! I thought I might be the only guy crazy enough to consider anything that could answer to such a description.
Do you have a thread going on that project? Any design details you are open to sharing? Will this have another monocoque plywood shell? (I searched out some of your stuff, and looked at the Velo thread on the site.)
What are your thoughts on keeping an enclosed bike upright on two wheels?
Hoping to see more on this. --Mike

Hi Mike, so far I just have the idea sketched below. I intend to keep it upright by pedaling and steering, like any bicycle. Side loads from wind is said to be bad on this type of vehicle, but I think that reputaion comes mostly for ultra-low flat speedsters. I intend to minimize the side area. Anyway I don't see how it can be so much worse than me riding an upright in the wind with a rain cape.

It will be coroplast partly because when it is stopped it might tend to fall over... and I will park it anywhere I normally park a bike. And partly because I haven't tried coroplast before. I will try to make it look nice, but it will not be a beauty queen like the plywood Fauchet. I think this is a pretty straightforward, easy project, the only hard part is me getting obsessed with my idea of side stick steering attached to a body that pivots forward for access. If I just did any type of normal steering, it would be pretty simple.
Looking forward to seeing your project too,
John

trikedoc
02-12-2013, 08:41 PM
the only hard part is me getting obsessed with my idea of side stick steering attached to a body that pivots forward for access. If I just did any type of normal steering, it would be pretty simple.

Fauchet, The push/pull in-closed cable system I had suggested could give you what your looking for. A some point you more than likely will be adding a center frame extension from your head tube forward to support the body and a base to hinge the body. You would be able to anchor the forward end of the cable housing to the frame extension with the inner cable pointed back at the front fork and attaching to the steering arm that is welded to the fork. The cable housing would go forward looping up and over in a 180 Degree arch loosely attached to ether inside side of the body. Preferably attached to a horizontal body support frame member.Anchoring the steering lever end of the cable housing securely to the inner body support frame. If your steering tab is welded on the right side of the front fork and you route the cable along the right side of the body inner cable would attach to the bottom of your steering lever with the hinge/pivot point above. When you push forward on the steering lever to steer to the left the inner cable would move to the rear. At the front fork steering tab would move forward turning the wheel to the left and vice-versa. This could be done with one steering lever or a two cable two lever system for more normal steering feel.

All that being said. I am all for keeping thing simple. KISS Your build begs for a supper easy under seat steering setup.
What I am dieing to know is how you support the thing when you come to a stop. Unless you leave the bottom open. I would guess

Fauchet
02-12-2013, 10:06 PM
Hi Trikedoc,

Yes, what you seem to be describing is somewhat what I planned. However, I will use far fewer chunks of steel than most people would assume necessary. I also think that USS just _seems_ simpler to us because we've all seen Brad's well developed and beautifully photographed plans.

Yes, I do plan to leave the bottom open! I might put in spandex with slits or bomb bay doors later, but probably not. It's pretty warm here.

Fauchet
03-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Since I haven't had much progress, I'm hijacking my own thread to put in this video I just found of Vitus Van de Brink & a bunch of other euro-geeks talking about his plywood velomobile:
http://vimeo.com/46570749 Pretty nifty eh? Very light & looks reasonably aero.

Ibedayank
03-11-2013, 12:27 AM
what do you mean used to call them streamliners
race held every year in Battle Mountian Nevada
rider in pic Greg Thomas personal best 68mph

http://www.recumbents.com/wisil/whpsc2012/pictures.htm

B-Rad
05-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Hi again.
Here's the deal for industrial plastics and paint:http://www.ippnet.com/ they have a few different locations.
And I found this as well, very advanced, but worth some ideas esp. the landing gear: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bhpclub/sets/72157604828238682/with/2457690384/