PDA

View Full Version : Electric Vigilante commuter cruiser - hey, it's my first build ever, so why not?

Tunic
01-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Hi everyone. I've been doing some thinking about the kind of ride I want, and here are my criteria: Must look seriously evil, climb Brisbane's steep hills well, and function as a comfortable commuter cycle for a 10km commute as well as a weekend cruiser. With this in mind, I'm presently thinking of a Vigilante-based hardtail chopper with a sprung 20" front wheel and a motorised rear wheel based on a motorcycle front rim. I've never so much as picked up a welder before, but I will be enlisting the help of the good people at my local hackerspace.

I guess the first decision I need to make is what sort of motor to use. I was thinking of just bolting a SmartPie to the rear wheel spokes.. thoughts?

Radical Brad
01-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Cool plan. The top speed of your motor will determine how you proceed. Once you get into the 25mph+ zone, you really need to consider your brakes and full suspension carefully.

Brad

Tunic
01-08-2013, 12:32 AM
Front wheel suspension was definitely part of the plan - not sure what sort yet. Anchors will probably be a front hydraulic disc brake and rear regenerative brake - the hubmotor has that built in already. I'd leave myself the option of a rear disc as well, as I've no idea how well the regen brake works or if it is subject to failure. I've ridden 1000cc+ road bikes for years, so I'm well aware of the need to be able to come to a sudden and controlled stop :p

Radical Brad
01-08-2013, 01:31 AM
I was more concerned about the rear suspension. When I dared to bring OverKill or Vigilante up to any real speed (usually downhills), I found that the bounce from the rear was pretty good when hitting any kind of bump or pothole. Even with 15psi in the tube, those car tires can sure bounce. A foot high rebound from a 4 inch deep pothole at high speed is a bit of a shocker!

Brad

Tunic
01-08-2013, 02:45 AM
Hmm. Attach the main tube with a pivot made from a bottom bracket, stick a spring and damper between the (substantial) backrest support and a horizontal strut in front of the rear wheel?

Tunic
01-08-2013, 02:49 AM
Or even chop the pivot and upright out of a mtb suspension frame.

macka
03-30-2013, 09:36 AM
what about using a motorcycle rear tire? Lighter weight means less bounce, as well as the profile being smaller, and motorcycle tires are just as available as car tires

Ticktock
03-30-2013, 10:12 AM
You won't feel any braking from regenerative braking! By the time you decide it may be helping you have hit the thing you were trying miss.

Steve G