PDA

View Full Version : welding on suspension forks

socialtalker
01-04-2013, 06:15 PM
has anyone welded on suspenson forks? i want to have disk brakes on the front wheels instead of rim brakes but of course that requires welding on the brake thingys. i see the suspenson forks are welded on when you get them, because of the arch they have to put on. but i am assuming i cant use my gas torch and i dont think my fluxcore welder would give a good enough weld. i am thinking of going to the shop and have them tig welded. have the steering tab put on also.

Radical Brad
01-04-2013, 06:19 PM
I would be careful with this one, especially if dealing with aluminum. If the lower tube is steel, you can probably take the entire fork apart and find a way, but if it is aluminum, I would avoid this modification.

Brad

Nitty
01-06-2013, 07:18 AM
The bottom half of the forks can usually be removed by unscrewing a bolt at the bottom of the fork (dropout end). The bolt connects to a rod which goes into the top half of the forks which is the actual suspension unit. Therefore, it is (usually) safe to just undo the said bolts and slide off the casing without disturbing the actual suspension mechanism. Any resistance felt whilst sliding off the casings is normally due to the dust seal. Once off, double check there are no rubber components inside and weld as normal.

Ken

Ticktock
01-06-2013, 08:15 AM
You have to be careful here--Brads warning is probably best taken as the last word! If it is alloy, it can be welded, but , depending upon the internal set up of your suspension, you may get problems with distorsion. Also, the problem of exactly which alloy you are dealing with. You may find the shop will not be too keen on getting involved, unless they have done it before. They would need a complete set of forks, with wheel installed, plus calipers and all fitting hardware.
As to welding the steering arm at the shop--again, you could have problems! Is it a steel or alloy crown? are you welding to the fork leg or to the crown?
And last , but not least, do you know the exact place it has to be to work properly?. I think we all have at least two goes to get that little arm in the right place before final welding (some even cut it off and start again) so it might be expensive to get this done at a shop. I would not be too keen on welding an alloy arm to an alloy crown--there are too many unkowns for my liking.
When it comes to welding around the forks, I like to stick to to working with steel.
All this is not to say it cannot be done, because it can, and probably has, been done--just to highlight some of the problems you could have.
Steve G,
Beijing

Radical Brad
01-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Aluminum suspension forks are like sleeping dogs... best leave em' alone! I have broken my share, some from mods, some from simply overloading. Unlike steel, when they fail, they fail completely...

http://atomiczombie.com/temp/crash1.jpg
Never use a hubmotor on a suspension fork.

I like to think of aluminum as being like glass. Glass is a great material until you stress it too far.

Brad

socialtalker
01-07-2013, 04:56 PM
thanks for the advice everyone. i really hate putting aside the susp forks. and it looks like i might have to change my meridian head tube.

Ibedayank
01-08-2013, 06:28 AM

$5-15 plus shipping
http://bbbp.net/ordercatalog.php
When in doubt why not just get the right parts to begin with? Most likely cheaper then having a
shop make a mount then tig it to a set of aluminum forks

Ticktock
01-08-2013, 10:36 AM
All you need now is the head tube, and problem solved economically!
Steve G,'
Beijing

Ibedayank
01-08-2013, 09:03 PM
you can order a headtube from a bicycle frame builder supplier
this thread has a HUGE list of sources for head tubes, bottom brackets and other needed parts for frame building
http://forums.mtbr.com/frame-building/master-list-framebuilding-suppliers-595808.html

socialtalker
01-09-2013, 03:20 PM
thanks for the source links ibedayank! i silly me, i did know i could get an fork with disc brake brackets that didnt cost hundreds put in an order for some forks. too bad they didnt have a 20 inch suspension fork with brake tabs. i could find only one on the market.

Optima headshock front fork (discbrake), +$115.00

its on my wishlist in the future.