PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts?

jimFPU
07-03-2008, 12:02 PM
I've been studying Richie's Quad Mod, and I want to pose some questions...

Would one be able to mod the frame to one single length with no welds except for the front and rear? The rear 'T' frame could be mounted 180 degrees (around the axle) from where it is now and the main T bar (as planned) on top would be on the bottom. I believe there would still be sufficient clearance for the free hub and brakes, because the dimensions would not change. It would look more like a 'W' with an extra leg as opposed to the 'M' with an extra leg like it does now. I think it would still give approximately the same 80 degree head tube angle also, maybe slightly off. Or are there issues with torque and pulling the free hub 'down'?

Could the tube support the length required or would it bend too much over that length?

Just curious...I'm trying to reduce my welding requirements...

trikeman
07-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I am not sure I completely picture what you have in mind, but I suppose anything is possible. I love welding, and look for opportunities to do it, but if you want to minimize it (for whatever reason) you could always just use a small wife feeder to tack everything up and then have it welded at a welding shop.

jimFPU
07-03-2008, 01:53 PM
...you could always just use a small wife feeder...I know what you meant, but this just struck me funny!

Basically I'm thinking on one straight tube for the main tube, welded at the front T and then taking the rear system as built and turning it upside down so the cross bar is on the low side from where it is in the plans.

Also remember I'm inexperienced at welding...

trikeman
07-03-2008, 02:01 PM
I know what you meant, but this just struck me funny!

Basically I'm thinking on one straight tube for the main tube, welded at the front T and then taking the rear system as built and turning it upside down so the cross bar is on the low side from where it is in the plans.

Also remember I'm inexperienced at welding...

No offense, but I really think you are more afraid of welding than you should be. Most of us here were (are) inexperienced at welding, but it only takes a few hours to a few days to get good enough at it to build one of these creations. That is why brad designs with square tubing.

My eyesight is pretty bad. I was afraid I would not even be able to weld at all. It worried me so much, that I put it off a long time. I thought to myself, Boy will I make a fool of myself out there trying to strike an arc." Finally, when I got a small wire feeder and starting trying to weld, I realized, "Hey this isn't so bad." I can't remember who said it, but I always like the saying, "Do what you fear, and the death of fear is certain."

If I were you, I would get a small wire feeder and some steel and cut the steel into small sections and practice welding it back together. EMT from Home Depot is easy to get for practice. Most dumps or junk piles or thrift stores will also yield some good practice steel. I am betting that with a few hours practice the light will turn on and you will be able to build a bike whose welds will hold.

jimFPU
07-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Not afraid, just one of those people that has to have WAY too much info before I start...LOL!

(And by EMT, can I safely assume you mean EMT tubing? The thin round stuff?)

Picture this: http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/bradgraham/tricruiser.htm
Modified to the SF. Can you see it? I may just have to draw a pic and scan it in...

trikeman
07-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Not afraid, just one of those people that has to have WAY too much info before I start...LOL!

(And by EMT, can I safely assume you mean EMT tubing? The thin round stuff?)

Picture this: http://www.atomiczombie.com/gallery/bradgraham/tricruiser.htm
Modified to the SF. Can you see it? I may just have to draw a pic and scan it in...

Yep. The round stuff. When I first got my welder that was the easiest place for me to get a few bits to weld. That was after I welded all the large bolts and nuts I had laying around to pieces of scrap steel. I sawed it up with my hacksaw ground the galvanizing off and welded it back together at odd angles. I still have the "sculpture" I made on the first day in my garage. My wife has my camera today, or I would post a picture.

trikeman
07-03-2008, 02:29 PM
This is over-priced for what it is, but give the guy $75 and take it home and learn to weld with it.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/bar/731727367.html

When you are done learning on it, sell it for what you paid for it and buy a better one.

jimFPU
07-03-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm already waiting on a reply to see if he still has it available!! And I had about the same price in mind.:D

trikeman
07-03-2008, 02:47 PM
I hesitate to recommend these, since great welders are not very much more expensive, but if you must, I believe the Farmhand is built by Cambell Hausfield and you can get one new at TSC for $170.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_49007_______14151|14220 |14238|49007?listingPage=true (http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_49007_______14151%7C142 20%7C14238%7C49007?listingPage=true)

I only hesitate because I know you are going to want a better one very soon (like next month), but I understand sticking your toe in first.

If you want to try your hand at stick (use some 1/16" or 3/32" 7014s or 6013 rods and its not that much harder than wire), this one has gotten good reviews by some who have used it. For the same price, or course you can get a used AC/DC Hobart, Miller or Lincoln stick and never have to buy another one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97719

locolarry
07-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Jim,
Hey, Friend..JUMP IN !!! I bought a new Hobart 140 and let it sit, un-opened in my garage for 3 1/2 months...every excuse in the book not to get started...One day, feeling silly and foolish, I just jumped in...assembled , read the manual, plugged it in , grabbed some scrap metal and did it!. ..I LOVE it ! Oh, I've got a long way to go to be acceptable to anyone's standards, but what a blast to weld up something and it will not break apart!!! I cannot get enough time to myself these days! Don't wait, Jim, just jump in. You'll be Bitten by the AZ Bug like the rest of us...:D

Locolarry (good/better/best welder wanna-be)
Cary, North Carolina
Atomic Zombie designed Tadpole "Streetfox" build ***IN-PROGRESS***
Have plans for :Streetfighter Quadcycle; The Wildcat
Books: Bicycle Builders Bonanza on my desk,
Bikes, Scooters, and Chopper projects somewhere between Thunder Bay and Cary...
Have all the bumper stickers
Can't decide on next project...except that it's going to be SF or DW
Also have a whole new set of friends.....
######SUPPORT THIS WEBSITE...BUY SOMETHING!!!!######

jimFPU
07-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Trikeman, I was at TS yesterday scoping that very one. The next one up had gas capibility for $270.

Maybe the guy from CL will call back...

jimFPU
07-03-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks, Larry...I'm sure I'll be in before long, even my kids are getting excited! I'll get the whole family 'bent before long!!!:D