PDA

View Full Version : Large Mig wire spools hack

savarin
10-03-2012, 09:07 AM
This may be of use to some.
My mig welder is approx 20 years old so it may have originally had the parts to do this.
I usually use the small 0.8 kg spools of wire but I've been using a lot of spools lately on a large trailer project and it was getting expensive.
I purchased a 5kg spool of wire but the central mounting hole was way too large to use.
I cut down an empty small spool to a size the fit tightly in the hole and this allowed it to fit on the machine shaft with no slack.
The small spool centre is a little but narrower than the new larger spool and when pushed through to the far side allowed the old washer - spring - screw to fit into the new spool hole correctly and apply tension as it should.
I now have a 5kg spool working with no problems.
5kg of wire in small spools would have cost $93 at the cheapest local price where as the 5kg spool cost $39
No contest.

darnthedog
10-03-2012, 09:25 AM
So where are the photos of this modification? You know a couple Pictures are worth a million or more words. Thanks for the hint- I have the adapter already but if mine should ever get lost or broken this sounds like an interesting fix.

savarin
10-03-2012, 09:50 AM
So where are the photos of this modification? You know a couple Pictures are worth a million or more words. Thanks for the hint- I have the adapter already but if mine should ever get lost or broken this sounds like an interesting fix.

I was too lazy :shame: :oops:
I may get a round tuit tomorow

go1000go
10-03-2012, 03:53 PM
I had the same penny wise thought a while back, unfortunately my mig wire feed would either slip or have over run after the feed had stopped and ended up with a birds nest.
So having a few empty 0.8kg spools, I made a simple wooden holder for the large spool and then the smaller spool spindle is longer to allow me to fit a battery drill. I rewind two small spools at a time, cost saving measure complete.

savarin
10-03-2012, 10:31 PM
pics as promised.
Here is the small spool cut down to fit the larger hole in the large spool.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s258/savarin48/small-hub-inner.jpg

and here it is inside the larger spool.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s258/savarin48/inside-large-reel.jpg

You will note that it sits inside the large hole, the gap is filled with the clamping washer.
However, all this was a complete waste of time as I realised when I took these pictures. http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s258/savarin48/1087.gif
So thanks darnthedog as without taking them I wouldnt have seen this.
The white washer at the very rear of the first pic is a thin plastic washer cut from a milk bottle to add a bit of friction/slip for the smaller spools.
The accuracy of my eyecrometer was somewhat lacking because today I suddenly saw that the diameter of the boss behind this washer is the same size as the cut down small spool and yes, the large spool fits exactly over it once the white washer was removed.
The pressure washer sits inside and over the edge of the large hole holding the large spool where it should be and all is once more well, just as it was originally designed.
Back to the grindstone.

darnthedog
10-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks for sharing the photos Savarin- I mean that.

savarin
10-03-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks for sharing the photos Savarin- I mean that.

Ha ha, its me that should be thanking you. Without going back and taking them I wouldnt have realised what a waste of time my idea was.
It did work though so it may help others so maybe it wasnt a total waste.