PDA

View Full Version : Steampunk Long Ranger.

Intrepid
08-24-2012, 12:22 AM
Yes I love steampunk, but it's just such fun :)

I don't know how many of you have heard of the Roper Steam Bicycle, but when I began to study Brad's plans that was the first thing that came to mind. Covering the battery cassette and the electrics was something I wanted to do anyway and if I'm going to make a cover of some kind why not dress it up a little.
From messing about with aged bicycles I've got no end of period type bits and bobs so it's not as if I'd have to go out and buy anything.
This weekend I'm going out to reclaim my workshop and eject all the junk and clear a workspace. I've had enough of moping around like an invalid and I just sooooo need to cut metal and make sparks :builder2:

darnthedog
08-24-2012, 09:22 AM
Good for you- And the theme sounds delightful. There were Steampunks bikes in Brad's Gallery from other builders and the look pretty cool.

Intrepid
08-24-2012, 02:58 PM
Thanks DtD :) I'm looking forward to this build even though it will be taking second place to building my trike. With the steampunk theme I get to mess about with brass and copper oddments and maybe an old gauge or two which should be fun :)

Radical Brad
08-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, the SteamPunk theme is great! It's funny how it was just "normal" for most inventions back in the 1800's and early 1900's.

Brad

Intrepid
08-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Yes the era of the skilled artisan who worked with mostly hand tools and who could cast anything in moulded sand using wooden patterns.

If I get this to work I'm going to change my avatar.....

Intrepid
08-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Just to have a total reversal of the concept of skilled artisans making things the Warehouse (NZ chain store) has a big sale on cheap 26 inch bikes with suspension at each end. Only $NZ159.00 part assembled still in the box. That's a good price for here so I'm going to take myself off to get one.
This will give me a good start in on the Long Ranger and provide me with an 18 speed gearset for my trike build as well.

Intrepid
08-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Donor bike is presently in my bedroom filling the air with new bike smell :)
It's an Australian made Repco and to my surprise it's a reasonably sound bike and much better than I expected in terms of parts quality.
Such assembly as had taken place in the factory before it went in the box was the usual with dry and overtightened bearings in the wheel hubs and BB, but I was going to check those anyway before I used them.
After a little creative staring I'm having some doubts about using the Repco fork and front frame for the Long Ranger and I think I shall use the more solid frame and forks from a dead Giant I've got under the house. The rear half of the Repco with its pivoting link suspension is very suitable for a tadpole recumbent IMHO and it shall be used for that.
Not complaining though as the haul of parts from the bike is very good in terms of value for money. If I could've stretched the housekeeping some more I would've bought two of them just on the strength of that alone.

Intrepid
08-26-2012, 05:47 AM
On the steampunk front how about this for a bike?

I don't think I'll try anything like that on this bike, but I've got it tucked away in the back of my mind :)

Intrepid
08-26-2012, 09:34 PM
More creative thinking going on at the moment than actually getting anything done. Over the past few days I've been called out several times to see Mum at the rest home as she'd had a fall and was confused and in a lot of pain.

One important design factor I have to take into account is that whatever do I with this build the bike has to be able to fit through the anti-motorcycle barriers on the rail trails around where I live. It's possible to get to the surrounding townships entirely by the rail trails and thereby avoid the winding and narrow country roads. The roads often carry traffic beyond what they were originally designed for and there are too many idiots driving SUVs on them who think that it's safe to travel at the maximum speed limit whatever the road conditions.

The barriers are like a pair of opposite opposing upside down 'L' shapes when seen end on and there is a slot between them which will allow a bike's seatpost and steering stem to slide through when the bike is wheeled through the barrier. So that means that any wider parts of this bike I'm building need to be below this barrier or else be no wider than the slot.
While it would be possible to get one of Brad's LWB delta trikes through the barriers, the cattle stops on the trail are very much designed for single track bikes and are narrower than the barriers. So no trikes allowed unfortunately :(
I'm using a 24 volt hub motor so I only need to stack my 30Ah batteries two high and not three high as Brad did with his 36 volt hub. Which means that I can build the battery cassette much lower for improved clearance through the barriers. I'd like to be able to still pedal my bike too; - I'm working on this idea, but haven't arrived at a solution just yet.