PDA

View Full Version : 24 " steel wheel or 26 inch alum wheel?

socialtalker
06-01-2012, 01:37 PM
hello! I am off the forum for a few days and come back to 3 pages of comments! woohoo!

anyhoo. i have 2 front wheels, both 36 spokes. i was going to use the 26 inch wheel for the delta runner, but I dont like the quick release axle on it, those QR axles are sooo thin, i dont trust they would hold up. my old front suspension fork is steel, very rare. anyway it has nice beefy drop offs. (it might work for a hub motor, but thats another story).
i am thinking those beefy drops off might be too much for the thin QR axle.

i have a steel wheel, rim and hub are steel, that is 24 inches. it feels heavier than the alum wheel. the rear wheels will be 26 inch.
my DR trike will have a mid-drive and i will be painting the rim and hub. will there be a problem if i choose the 24 inch wheel? does steel hold paint as well as aluminum?
any suggies?

socialtalker
06-03-2012, 06:07 PM
i am leaning towards the 24 inch, but then i remember i have the 26 inch suspension fork. will that be a problem?... anybody?

charlie_r
06-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Steel will hold paint as well as if not better than aluminum. The 24" will work in whichever forks you use.

I've had no problems with the QR on the front of my LR, as the weight distribution keeps most of the weight on the rear wheels. I suspect that the same will hold true on the DR as well. So it comes down to which you are more comfortable using. Personally, I don't put too much stock in the "keep the rotating weight to a minimum" mantra the elitist cycle folks like to tell you. There won't be much difference on a trike. We aren't talking about a 3,000 lb powered vehicle here, so a lot of the rules that apply there don't exactly cross over to the bicycle world, which is where they get that idea.

imamedik
06-03-2012, 09:49 PM
i am leaning towards the 24 inch, but then i remember i have the 26 inch suspension fork. will that be a problem?... anybody?

What kind of brakes, if any are you going to use. You would have to move the brake bosses if you want to use the 24 inch rim

charlie_r
06-04-2012, 06:33 AM
For the delta trikes, use of a front brake for stopping doesn't work so well. There isn't much weight transfer onto that wheel, making that brake much less effective.

socialtalker
06-04-2012, 06:03 PM
i have two rear disc brakes, none in the front. i decided i am going to got the heavier short wheel. the problem was i am ordering the spokes overseas and painted the rim, so being wrong will be costly. i dont know how it will look with the shorter wheel. oh well..... thanks for responding. i still havent quite designed how the shell will look in the front.