PDA

View Full Version : after much searching...

Naryia
05-25-2012, 09:27 PM
I have spent some hours scouring the forum for something touching on what I'd like to do, but nothing quite answers all my questions. So I feel the need to post, for my eyeballs are drying out from all this reading. I hope this is the right board to post to.

I am just getting into this sort of thing and would like a few pointers or suggestions in very layman terms if you please.

I have an old mountain bike, I think with 26" wheels, maybe 24", women's style. I would like to kind of convert it into something like a Bandito or a high roller (I think?), but I tend to be tipsy these days, (not the fun kind). I was wondering if there was a way to add a third wheel somewhere so I don't wipe out and die like I did when I was a kid. I also need to be able to get up fair size hills on roads. If I can't quite make it though, I don't wanna plop over and roll back down the hill.

I also want to eventually add some sort of harness apparatus for my dogs to be attached to and trot along behind me off to the sides slightly. So the wheels need to not get in the way of that.

I don't mind saying I'd like to start easy so I don't feel overwhelmed by a big project. Any suggestions would be great and appreciated.

LJ

darnthedog
05-25-2012, 10:03 PM
There are 13 trikes to choose from on the DYI plans. Some Tadpoles- Two wheels in front and some Deltas-Two wheels in back. The closest to a Bandito I can see is the Tricruiser which is a Tadpole Of course it is a long wheel base rather than a short. I have a Warrior in Progress and a Deltarunner on the back burner with plan to build a couple Spirits and a new one that Brad is designing right now that is a front wheel drive bike, but it is also a two wheeler. These plans are like potato chips once you start you won't build just one. Welcome to the insanity and please show us your project with pictures as you get started building. Good luck and have fun choosing.

Naryia
05-25-2012, 10:39 PM
There are 13 trikes to choose from on the DYI plans. Some Tadpoles- Two wheels in front and some Deltas-Two wheels in back. The closest to a Bandito I can see is the Tricruiser which is a Tadpole Of course it is a long wheel base rather than a short. I have a Warrior in Progress and a Deltarunner on the back burner with plan to build a couple Spirits and a new one that Brad is designing right now that is a front wheel drive bike, but it is also a two wheeler. These plans are like potato chips once you start you won't build just one. Welcome to the insanity and please show us your project with pictures as you get started building. Good luck and have fun choosing.

Thank you for the input. I forgot to mention that after looking at ones like the Tricruiser I felt that a SWB seems like it would be easier for me to handle and transport places for that matter.

I really don't have any actual building skills when it comes to things outside of nailing lumber together, but we'll see if I have some undiscovered talent when I get time to start modding my mountain bike; after deciding What to do to it that is.

Your project certainly looks complex to my untrained eye, no doubt you're having fun, which is what it is about. :)

LJ

darnthedog
05-26-2012, 09:37 AM
The plans make building the bikes easier as they go step by step. I have 12 plans and bike building book Brad produced. The Tutorials on the main page helped a lot. As to your own abilities I cannot not comment on that as I donít know you. However my father taught me that if you can read you can learn how to do just about anything if you put your mind to it. Plus everyone on this site is great at giving a hand in commenting if you have a question. As long as you are willing to learn the skills required the cut metal and reattach it together then youíll do just fine. If you look through the Galleries you will see that there is a lot of customization with these cycles. So while you may get a set of plans- You donít have to use exactly what is written as they are not blue prints. I will give my example my Warrior is using a 36 rear wheel with internal hub. But the plans are really calling for a 26 inch wheel with external gearing and a derailleur. The front Bottom bracket is a standard 2 to 3 speed derailleur on the plans but again my plan is to use an internal gear set with a single external gear. Other use scrap bikes they find either from trash piles or Goodwill or Craigslist. Some have bought parts individually and others have purchased department store bikes for their base. You are creating your own bike so feel free to create what you want using the plans as a guide line. So build the Bandito if you like and add a third wheel. Your choice. Its about having fun and creating a piece of art you can call your own. Its about recycling trash that would just go to waste. Its about getting into shape and becoming healthier. This is a group of people from around the world willing to talk you through anything or direct you to some good hints and trick or even parts. So have fun.

Naryia
05-26-2012, 01:10 PM
I like to cook, so when I start making something I don't know much about, I begin by using a highly rated recipe. After I have done that for a while I'll add my own changes to it. I like to get results and not spend a lot of time messing things up, which is why I was looking for suggestions to hopefully avoid putting the wheel on wrong or something like that. It sounds like, at least from your perspective it is more about the journey toward the goal. I can appreciate that. I just like to make sure I am not causing myself unnecessary work.

David_s
05-26-2012, 03:30 PM
If you are afraid of messing something up then I suggest you star with what I believe is the easiest bike on here to make. The Spirit. I was able to make this in just 1 weekend. Couple pieces cut to fish mouth to hold the bottom bracket to the boom. 1 nice long piece of square tubing with a hole cut in it and if you wanted to make the rear end a little simpler\ lighter the rear triangle off just about any bike.

As for the plans while they don't give exact measurements, they do give detailed steps to figure out the measurements in a way that is usually better than exact measurements. Hold this thingie there and trace a line where it intersects that thing.

Here are the plans right here.

http://www.atomiczombie.com/plans/spirit/pdfprev.jpg

Course the pics look a lot better when you actually buy the pdf.

imamedik
05-26-2012, 07:08 PM
.... So build the Bandito if you like and add a third wheel. Your choice. Its about having fun and creating a piece of art you can call your own. Its about recycling trash that would just go to waste. Its about getting into shape and becoming healthier. This is a group of people from around the world willing to talk you through anything or direct you to some good hints and trick or even parts. So have fun.

Naryla, if you built the Bandito, you could build this http://www.trikekit.blogspot.com/ (courtesy of Richie rich) so you can switch between two and three wheels as you desire.

PS Sir joey did a photo journal of his https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=9d0d4df6f50aafc2&id=9D0D4DF6F50AAFC2!2454

Naryia
05-27-2012, 01:43 AM
@ David_s

Thanks for the suggestion. I did buy the Spirit plans since there's a nice sale on this month. I thought it looked nice and simple too. I am going to be trying to retro fit my own mountain bike frame, rather than build one from scratch though. Hopefully save myself some steps until I get better and figure out more of what I want.

Naryia
05-27-2012, 01:55 AM
Naryla, if you built the Bandito, you could build this http://www.trikekit.blogspot.com/ (courtesy of Richie rich) so you can switch between two and three wheels as you desire.

PS Sir joey did a photo journal of his https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=9d0d4df6f50aafc2&id=9D0D4DF6F50AAFC2!2454

AHHHH!! I knew something like this had to exist! This is super excellent. This is exactly what I was hoping for - something to turn a bike into a trike without reinventing the wheel. I could totally see using this on my bike as it is before I even get it made into a recumbent. Thanks so much! :sunny: