PDA

View Full Version : Rear derailleur challenges

RodM
05-08-2012, 11:31 AM
Anyone out there who can tell me how to correct my derailleur instal? I have tried to follow the plans and photos as much as possible but apparently I am doing something wrong. The derailleur (both sides have the same issue!) get pulled into the free wheel when shifting through much of the range. I have experimented with chain length, shortening, lengthening, etc. I am now wondering if I have the derailleur mounted too high? Any insights are welcomed. The sun is finally shining and I would rather be riding than building :o) Attached are some photos.

Radical Brad
05-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Is it the top idler that is clashing with the chain ring? It looks like you have the same hardware as I used, and the dropout mount slot could be a little closer to the axle like this...

http://atomiczombie.com/temp/kyotodr.jpg

Nice work... what color is that?

Brad

David_s
05-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Yes think about how this is normaly attached to the bike. The slot that the big bolt is going through in the pictute that Brad posted is usualy where the axle is going through. So as close as you can get that point to the center of your axle the more like a regular bike.

Old Peddler
05-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Rod, I have just been going though this myself and it looks to me that with the set up that you are using the derailleur needs to be mounted 1-1&1/2" lower and maybe back a little. Try making a new temp. bracket and clamp or vicegrip it to your old one in the possition I suggested and that way you can move it around to find the sweet spot.

OP

RodM
05-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the responses. I should have been more patient this morning - instead I proceeded with the following: I made new, longer brackets changed the angle slightly so that the attachment point would be closer and centred slightly below the axle. This improved things considerably, and now with your comments in mind, I will go back and make further changes. Thanks for the suggestion of using vise grips - much easier than cutting and welding a few times. Throughout the build, I keep reminding myself of Brad's advice to keep trying and success will come and with it, the sweet spot. Oh, and the colour, Brad? Well, it used to be a metallic gold but now after today's modifications, it has taken on a burnt umber shade...:sunny:

RodM
05-09-2012, 04:31 PM
A follow-up to announce SUCCESS. After a good night of sleep, and armed with assurances from the above posts, I played around some more this morning, and took the "Sunshine Cruiser" out for a test run before noon. A few more adjustments, some final touches, maybe some changes to the handlebars, oh yes, and a paint touch-up, and Saskatoon will see its first Cruiser cruising the streets. Stay tuned for better photos, and an explanation about the Sunshine Bicycle plant that operated in Waterloo, Ontario during the 50's. Thanks to everyone for their contributions. :)42714272

Mad7
05-09-2012, 08:10 PM
Well that looks great. Good job

Radical Brad
05-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Glad it worked out. What a nice machine - hope to see multiple pics of it in our new gallery!

brad