PDA

View Full Version : My first attempt at hybrid timberwolf and kyoto.

35 PROG
04-17-2012, 10:57 PM
Hello, I got a start on my project this weekend. For anyone that has read my prior posts will know this is for my brothers birthday on May 21!! I may get flamed for this, but since I don't have a large supply of bikes to get matching hardware. So I bought two new bikes to part. I will attempt to add photos, due to the motto "If there are no photos it didn't happen." thanks, Shawn.
PS if you experienced builders see an issue as a go, your help is appreciated.4094409540974096

35 PROG
04-19-2012, 12:44 AM
:DTonight I made a truing stand from the bike I tore apart. I also made a freewheel removal tool and was able to completely disassemble the wheel I also took the hub apart to use the ends as a pattern for drilling the washers for the hubs. I got 1 hub drilled, but I did not get photos, but will as soon as the shop gets cleaned up a little.

darnthedog
04-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Looking good. No flaming here- As to what parts are used it is totally up to your budget and time. But it looks like you are coming along pretty well. Just be sure you have good penetration on the welds. Wouldn't want the prize to fall apart due to rushing the welds.

Radical Brad
04-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Good progress, thanks for the post!

Brad

35 PROG
06-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Hello, I has been awhile since I posted. I haven't given up on this, but it has tried my patience. I will give you guys credit.. This is a lot of work!!! Brad, how you manage with your "minimalist approach to tools is admirable. I feel like there has been a tool explosion in the shop since I started this project. BTW I missed the target date of May 22, will regroup and try for June 29.

I have got the hubs made, wheels laced, trued (best I can), axle mounted to the rear frame and the pivots for the suspension done. I promise to get some good photos this weekend (need to clean the shop a little first).

I was not having any luck finding a machine shop to make the adapters for the axle that holds the free wheel and brake and was not having any luck welding these on with accuracy. I did not like the idea of welding to the axle and capturing the outer bearing permanently so... I thought that would try to come up with a removable carrier of some kind so heres what I came up with.

First I took a rear hub apart by knocking the spoke flanges off4377

Then I removed the bearing cups, and sanded the outer edge off so that one could be installed backwards.4378

I then welded a 3/8? nut I a mountain bike handle bar. this will act as a jig to hold pieces. Then cut the hub shell 3/4 of an inch from where it starts to narrow. 4379

Removed the burrs and trued cut with a file then slid it on the handle bar with the bearing cup slid in backwards. I then ground cup down to the nut and used a round file to enlarge hole so it would just slide over the bar. 4380 see More photos in next post.

35 PROG
06-01-2012, 12:25 AM

then filed slightly larger to fit over the bar 4383

I then slid it into the hub backwards and drove the freewheel threaded portion on the hub shell. 4384

This will give a little extra support on the free wheel end. I then tapped the other end of the hub on to the threaded end once it was in place I mounted it to the bar as shown and tacked it in 3 places.4385

35 PROG
06-01-2012, 12:39 AM
then I ground the lip off of the opposite flange and drove it on the same direction as the threaded part. Then just drilled spoke holes out to accept brake rotor bolts. I also tack welded the edge of the hub at the threads to secure it to the handle bar that slides over the axle. and will weld where the two hubs meet and put bolt into the axle in mid hub. By "stacking" the hubs. it is triple wall where the set screw will be (two layers of hub and one layer of handlebar. My only concern is that the spoke flange for the brake disc may be a little lightweight. Sorry I didn't get more photos I will as I finish these up. What do you guys think? will the flange be enough or not.