PDA

View Full Version : Century 80 GL flux core 120 V welder?

Evox_Rider
04-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Canadian Tire had this unit on special, comes with auto darkening helmet, a cart, spool of wire and spare nozzle for $399. Says it welds from 18 guage to 1/8". The duty cycle is 20% at 80A, but I would only be using it at the low power (30A) setting and any weld would not be for more than a few seconds at most.

A buddy of mine that likes to think he knows, says its not suitable for what I want to do, what do all my fellow Zombies think?

Evox_Rider
04-05-2012, 07:34 PM
I have picked this unit up, but as yet is still unused and I could return it, if its not a suitable unit. Will it be able to weld bicycle tubing to the 16 guage square tubing that most AZ designs call for without blowing thru the thinner bike tubing pieces?
The spool of wire that came with the unit... I was reading the instructions while unpacking the spool and guess what, the end of the wire slipped out of my fingers and the spool sprung and unraveled itself on the spool...not sure what to do about that dilemma just yet...lol.

charlie_r
04-05-2012, 11:08 PM
That welder will do just fine for building bikes and such.

As for the spool, shelve it, until you have an empty (and you will, rather soon). Then you can rewind the wire onto the empty.

Evox_Rider
04-06-2012, 10:20 AM
So I guess what you would need to do, is weld in little 2 second intervals so that the metal does not get too hot, play around with the wire speed and speed of dragging the torch..all good fun...until frame falls apart on you at speed...lol

charlie_r
04-06-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't have a problem with my Chicago Electric 90A from Harbor freight with burn through on 14 or 16 ga material.

20% duty cycle means that you can weld for 2 min then cool for 8 min. 2 min is a loooooong time to weld.

Evox_Rider
04-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Right on, well concensus seems to say to keep the unit. The buddy of mine was saying to get one that had the ability to go to a lower heat setting and gave me this link http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8154700/120v/120V-MIG-Welder

Of course that wealth of helpful info was only after I had picked up the Century :rolleyes4:

When I purchased the Century model I had also picked up another roll of wire at the time, it is a 2 pound spool. Once got the unit unpacked and was in process of installing the spool that came with it, I noticed in the manual it says to use only 1 pound spools...would it damage the unit to use this 2 lb spool? Don't want the bother of returning it if can help it.

charlie_r
04-07-2012, 01:23 PM
If the spool fits in the holder, it shouldn't be a problem. The only thing is what angle the wire comes off the spool into the guide sleeve. You don't want too great an angle there, it will wear out the sleeve. Anything within a 15-25 degree angle should be ok.

Evox_Rider
04-07-2012, 04:40 PM
After long consideration, I opted to return the Century and got the Lincoln Mig Pak 140 which can go down to 24 guage material using the argon gas. This time I was careful and got the spool all loaded up with no mishaps...lol. Did some practice welds with it but unfortunately there is no scrap material at the work shop that is less than 1/8", but managed to make a few decent looking welds with this stuff.