PDA

View Full Version : Kyoto rear axle screw up.

jdenniston
04-03-2012, 10:44 AM
So last night I thought I was pretty hot stuff, and built both of my rear axles / hubs. I was so happy, until this morning, when it dawned on me, that I didn't line the flanges up, and wouldn't you know it...the holes line up almost perfectly. Which as I'm sure you all know is exactly how it shouldn't be. Good news is that the machine shop that made my flanges, had made 4 extras, and gave them to me at no charge.

In light of my last mess up, I wanted to check and make sure I was thinking correctly. Can you see any problem with just cutting the axle on the outside of the inside flange? This would make it the outside flange, and then I would weld a new flanges in as inside flange? The axle mounting arms are at 4'. I started with a 4' axle. I have 55mm between my flanges. So in essence my axles will be shortened by 55mm. From the looks of things in the instructions, it looks like there is plenty of axle length to do this.

charlie_r
04-03-2012, 07:55 PM
Sounds like a plan. To help keep from doing that again, tape an old spoke in one of the holes of your outer flange, to give you a visual reference.

Radical Brad
04-03-2012, 08:42 PM
If you run a zip disc into the weld area, you can probably release the discs as well.

Brad