PDA

View Full Version : KK build start

Omega
03-19-2012, 06:18 PM
I bought the plans for this last year, but am only now getting around to actually burning metal. I've got the frame welded up, rear wheels/axles built (but not trued up yet), pillow blocks installed and aligned, head tube welded up and the steering linkage installed. I'm working on the cranks using a couple of one piece cranks for now (it's what I have on hand).

I like the way I can switch to three piece cranks (I plan to) later without a lot of hassle. In fact, I must compliment AZ on the plans in general - clear, well thought out and easily modified.

No major roadblocks so far!

"Measure twice, cut once"

imamedik
03-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Omega, sounds like you are pretty far along but without pictures it didn't happen :jester:
by the way we like pictures :rolleyes4:

Omega
03-22-2012, 05:13 PM
It's happening alright and I've got the scars to prove it! But pictures are better....390239003901
No real issues yet, had to relocate one of the heim joints to the top of the steering link to clear the (larger one piece) bottom bracket, but it was no problem. By the way, I used the stud type of joint rather than the 'hole' type and there seems to be no issue.

Radical Brad
03-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Looking good!

Brad

imamedik
03-22-2012, 07:47 PM
It's happening alright and I've got the scars to prove it.

Hopefully, not to many, looks good though

charlie_r
03-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Trike taking its' blood sacrifice? Then it will be a great build!

river
03-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Looks good, Lets not talk about blood sacrifice . I bet we have had that at one time or another. Please just don't get impatient and let it cool enough before you handle something . Speaking from experience lmao

Omega
03-27-2012, 04:53 PM
No blood has been spilled in this project - so far.
Derailleurs installed front and rear, brake calipers as well. There's a slight wobble to my disks (about 0.03937"), just hope this won't affect brakes too much. (This is my first experience with disk brakes) Now I can get the chains right and install the idler wheel. I've got a couple of scooter wheels that I've grooved out for this purpose. Now's the time to clean up a few welds also.

39323933http://forum.atomiczombie.com/images/misc/pencil.png

Richie104
03-27-2012, 05:10 PM
There's a slight wobble to my disks (about 0.03937"), just hope this won't affect brakes too much.[/IMG]

Ow no there is 0.03937" of wobble captain! The brakes are going to catch fire and explode! Abandon build!
Haha, I get the feeling you will be fine with that. I think my brakes on my factor diamond framed bikes wobble more than that.
That's a really nice build though and I can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Omega
04-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Got the gears and brake cables in place, seats upholstered (this is harder than it looks!). I think I have made an error in mounting the rear derallieur since it rubs when in the lowest (biggest) gear. Shortening/lengthening the chain has little effect so I think it's mounted at the wrong angle. I have a spare derailleur I'm going to sub just in case, but methinks I'll be grinding off some welds.

charlie_r
04-05-2012, 11:32 PM
You may have to reposition your derailleur a little lower and forward to eliminate the rub (ask me how I know), otherwise you will find it difficult to shift into the lowest gear consistently.

And 0.04 runout is great! My disks have almost .125 runout, and work just fine. Just a bit hard to keep adjusted without dragging.

Radical Brad
04-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Not to worry about the disc alignment, the pads float when idle, and will probably be right out of the way in when released.
Great work so far!

Brad

Omega
04-07-2012, 01:36 PM
I guess as long as the brake rotors clear the caliper body there should be no problem.

As far as the derailleur cage hitting the sprocket, I can see where moving the thing down and forward would help. In my case I can move it down, but the assembly is quite close to the axle and moving it forward is probably not feasible.

In doing some research on derailleurs I have learned that most "higher end" units actually are adjustable. So, I decided to see if I could make my cheapo Toy-Mart Shimano SIS adjustable as well... An adjustment screw didn't seem to be an option, so I hit upon the idea of changing the point where the torsion spring is anchored to increase the tension and move the cage away from the sprockets a bit. See the pix:................OK, I can't seem to upload my pictures

Anyway, I drilled two extra holes, ground away part of the rotation stop so that the spring would seat properly. After installing the spring tab into new hole #1 I reinstalled the derailleur and much to my surprise (and delight) the cage no longer rubs on the sprocket. Almost no clearance, but no rub.
3992The original hole
3993Two new holes
3994Rotation stop ground out
3995No more interference

Omega
04-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Update: Paint is curing, rear wheels trued, cleaning and reassembly in process. Can't wait for first ride!

Had to redo my spokes on both wheels. Still don't know what I did wrong, something out of sequence I suspect. Some spokes were a bit "too long", some a bit "too short". Pattern looked fine, just decided to start over (good decision). Advice to anyone else: slow and careful!

Pictures when assembly is complete.

Omega
05-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Finally, first ride. Went to the local schoolyard parking lot for the maiden voyage. Everything works, but there a few tweaks and adjustments needed (as expected). Our dog gave her nod of approval, but she's not much help with pedaling. A picture of me and the dog and the Leviathan.

socialtalker
05-10-2012, 11:40 PM
congrats! very nice! cute doggy

river
05-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Congrats on a great build just in time for summer. Any other projects in the mix. That first ride feels real great doesn't it

Radical Brad
05-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Looks great!
Hope to see your favorite pics in our new gallery.

Cheers,
Brad