PDA

View Full Version : Auto dark addition / modification.

Brandon
01-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi there all.

I do most of ky work once the kids and sometimes the wife are away to bed, so it is mostly dark, and I work outside on the yard. Whilst I have lights, it is often times quite dingy, and rather gloomy.

Often I find that my auto dark helmet is too opaque for such lighting conditions, a rather irritating situation.

My sister gave me a wee LED head torch for Christmas, and wo I mounted it on the top of my helmet in order that I can see in the gloom if my workspace.

Peachy!

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/brandonoram/IMAG0147.jpg

I hope to get it to switch off when the arc strikes... Then see about charging from the arc...

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u99/brandonoram/IMAG0148.jpg

Hoochie Papa
01-21-2012, 10:42 PM
Great idea and a smart sister.

river
01-22-2012, 12:16 AM
My garage is a little dark too. Those lights work great, I use mine a lot. Puts the light where you need it and it lasts a long time

socialtalker
01-22-2012, 01:50 AM
hey! i brought a LED head torch too! in december! i would start welding late and it keep getting dark on me. it works great. i got mine off ebay, there are dozens of choices. wonderfully useful thing whether you are welding or anyplace you need focused light and free hands. and the next time the power goes out, i will be ready.

graucho
01-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Somebody mind is always thinking of a better way... thats what i'm thinking. Nice.

savarin
01-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Thats a brilliant idea (pun intended)
I use those for astronomy to read the sky maps and setting up on dark sites.
I never thought of this use for some reason I just hoped the arc struck where I wanted it. (well, it did occasionally)
Hmm, thinking out loud now.
Auto switching light from porch, delays and timers already built in, could be left switched on so wont light till levels drop to the hard to see part, light switches on, light from the arc triggers the off.
What say you ---- a Brad hack???????

maddox
01-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Damn, it's that simple.
I'm going to add one to my welding helmet.
It's actualy not needed to shut it off when welding. It doesn't add that much compared to the light of the arc, and the LED's don't draw that much.

The only thing I have to test is the sensitivy of the auto-mask.

In other words, KISS is the secret spice to the meal.