PDA

View Full Version : Bad angle and badder welds

winkak09
11-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Hi there,

This seat back tube which joins the main boom is cut too steep an angle. As I'm unable to shove my rod in the rear end, I've left it untouched. The joint is welded only in front and at the sides. Not good.

After welding on a gusset, it still flexes enough to cause concern. It doesn't look safe and I don't trust the welds at all.

Speaking of bad welds, can some guru welders please zoom in to marvel at a
newbie's handiwork? Appreciate comments or suggestions.

I'm using mild steel 6013 rods hooked up to an AC welder with amp set to about 90.

Thank you.

Wink33033304

maddox
11-30-2011, 02:33 AM
I was a prof TIG/MIG-photowelder for years, but never touched a rod since I left school 20 years ago. I can't do better with a rod without spending serious time practicing.

But it seems you don't see the meltbath. Maybe a too dark welding mask?

stormbird
11-30-2011, 02:57 AM
Wink

Add some stays from about halfway down the fork to the main frame about where the black line exists, a triangle is always stronger.

regards Paul

winkak09
11-30-2011, 05:22 AM
Hiya maddox.

Yes, maybe too dark welding mask. I've been using an autodark helmet set to #10. Will lower it to #9 next time.

Thanks

winkak09
11-30-2011, 05:27 AM
Hiya stormbird,

Will certainly add stays to form a triangle. However, as you can clearly see, I need to spend many many more hours of welding practice first.

Thank you.

charlie_r
11-30-2011, 07:35 AM
I agree with Maddox. Possibly too dark a mask. The welds look rushed, like you were moving the rod too fast.

Try this on a practice piece of scrap tubing: Turn your amps down to 75, and watch the puddle of molten metal. Your rod should be near the forward edge of the puddle, slowly drawing the puddle along in the direction of your weld.

Yes, it does take a lot of practice to get the angle of your rod in relation to the weld surface, the speed of the rod movement along the surface, and the amperage right for the material you are welding.

Here's a link (http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/) to one site you might find some help at. Google is your friend.

You WILL get the hang of it! In the mean time, you will become a master of the angle grinder.

winkak09
11-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi charlie_r,

Thanks for the tips and that useful link too. I'll lower the amps to 75 and go slower on the puddles now.

Ibedayank
12-01-2011, 01:46 AM
do NOT lower the amps if nothing else go higher your welds are cold and moving to fast
plus your not cleaning the metal before welding. a proper weld will happen JUST before you blow a hole in the tubing.Just after the weld when you lift your stick up both sides of the metal will GLOW a bright orange.
If that does not happen your not using enough amps. You need to learn to watch the puddle an unbroken puddle as you move along is what you want to see. If there are breaks in the puddle....you get the welds you have grind them out and weld it again