PDA

View Full Version : Hardshell seat mounting

xanda2260
11-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Hey guys. Been working on a Warrior and have just got to the rolling chassis stage (whoop whoop).
Unfortunately, I've come to mount my seat and am unsure how to go about it. I bought a GRP hardshell recumbent seat (really comfy), and figured I'd just bolt it to the frame using the method in the plans. However, this would mean bolt heads poking me in the back (foam is only 1 inch thick). I was thinking of using bolts with rounded heads (coach bolts?) but dont want to drill holes in my lovely seat if its gonna be uncomfortable.

Sooo, was wondering if anyone here has this type of seat, and how they mounted it. I've seen a few in thhe builders gallery, but its never clear how they mount.

Thanks in advance

Alex

David_s
11-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Pic of the back side of the seat for those of us that are unfamiliar with that seat would help.

xanda2260
11-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Good point. I'll see what I can do tomorrow ( its 9:30pm here - too dark!) cheers

xanda2260
11-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Ok guys, solved it.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i293/doctoe2260/IMAG0259.jpg

Just used 4 M6 bolts with washers. Made up tabs and welded them to the square tubing. For anyone else planning on doing this, the bolts do not stick in to your back, even without foam! My jumper/sweater was plenty of padding. With the foam there is no issue at all.

locolarry
11-09-2011, 01:32 AM
Nice looking seat! Where did you find it?
Larry

Odd Man Out
11-09-2011, 04:00 AM
Nice looking seat! Where did you find it?
Larry

Here is where i got two...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Recumbent-bike-seat-Ocean-Cycle-/320787384194?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts _SR&hash=item4ab06b0782

xanda2260
11-10-2011, 04:23 AM
That's the exact one ****! I actually went directly to Ocean Cycles, rather than using ebay,but thats the one. Highly reccomended.

****, just out of curiosity, which way up did you mount your seat? I tried it both ways up but found that ths way ( large section supporting my back) was most comfy. However, due to my being a short- arse (5'3") it does tend to hit the back of my head. Im gonna try it the other way (large section under my arse) and see if its any better, but just wondered how yours were done.

Cheers

Alex

Odd Man Out
11-10-2011, 04:23 PM
I bought a medium and a small (pictures can be seen in the "Build blog for Spartan and Hoplite Warrior Trikes" thread posts 22 and 34). If you have a medium, def check out the small, it fits differently. Funny though, I ended up going with this seat:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Liegerad-Ligfiets-Recumbentbike-Sitzschale-Weltneuheit-/260675887945?pt=Sport_Radsport_Fahrradteile&hash=item3cb17e6349
So unfortunately I can't hep you with the fit. I'd say just try it both ways and end up with what fits best.

xanda2260
11-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Wow, that seat is cool! Nevermind about the fit. I have the small already and flipped it today. It doesnt work. The curve on the wider bit is back shaped, not arse shaped. Very uncomfortable! So, back to normal, and all is good.
Also decided to make my own handlebars after failing to find suitable ones. Really must start a build thread...