PDA

View Full Version : Welding BB tip

David_s
10-24-2011, 10:26 PM
I just spent the last hour cleaning little bits of slag off the threads of my bottom bracket.
Put some of the nozzle gel on the thread of any thing that has threads that you are going to be welding close to.

Ibedayank
10-24-2011, 10:42 PM
i just screwed the cups into mine when welded it

calcustom
10-24-2011, 11:48 PM
i just screwed the cups into mine when welded it

This what I did also.
I had to re-weld a few times and it got quite a lot of heat and the threads are a little tight but its still serviceable.
I think If I hadn't done this it would of really distorted and been unusable.

PeterT
10-25-2011, 12:27 AM
Make yourself a BB thread cleaning tool by taking an old left hand threaded BB bearing cup, & a right handed one, make 4 small grooves across the thread, and weld a nut or bolt or socket extension bar onto the BB cup. Apply cutting lubricant, and threads are cleaned easily everytime.

PeterT

Radical Brad
10-25-2011, 08:23 PM
I heard a coating of crisco cooking oil will stop spatter. Have not tried it myself, but that's what I hear.

Brad

TheKid
10-26-2011, 06:48 PM
I also install cups with grooves as per a suggestion a few years back. Keeps the threads clean, and helps prevent heat distortion. The grooves make removal easier if you do get some distortion, and clean threads inside of the cup.

Evox_Rider
04-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Make yourself a BB thread cleaning tool by taking an old left hand threaded BB bearing cup, & a right handed one, make 4 small grooves across the thread, and weld a nut or bolt or socket extension bar onto the BB cup. Apply cutting lubricant, and threads are cleaned easily everytime.

PeterT

Would the small grooves across the thread be made with a hack saw or maybe a dremel tool?

John Lewis
04-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Would the small grooves across the thread be made with a hack saw or maybe a dremel tool?

I used a Dremel disk when I made a set like this about 4 or 5 years ago. It is still going strong.

John