PDA

View Full Version : Convert a Flux-wire Welder to MIG?! Brilliant!

RunnerPack
10-23-2011, 11:15 PM
(I apologize in advance if this has been posted; I really did try to find it, honest!)

This guy (http://fsae.antilag.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=120), in true Zombie spirit, converted his flux-wire welder into a MIG by making a collet from steel tube and adding a hose barb connected to a paintball CO2 cannister! This is definitely going into the "HF welder upgrades" file for later implementation...

-Amos

stormbird
10-24-2011, 01:57 AM
Hi there

Your CO2 had better be cheap ! a true gas welder has an electric valve for turning the gas on and off when you press the trigger.

Doing it this way you need to turn the CO2 on manually - weld - turn the CO2 off manually I suspect that will waste a large amount of gas.

I can see from the picture of the weld there is still quite a bit of splatter , I assume this is less than with flux-wire but more than you would see with a Argon/CO2 mix ?

regards Paul

maddox
10-24-2011, 05:27 AM
Things I would change.
The hose that comes in at a 90 angle is a plain pain in the asp.
Place it a lot more backwards, aligned with the gun. Preferably not on the collet, but on the handle itself.

Adding a valve shouldn't be a big problem either.The trigger has some power, and it's probably 24V DC. Any solenoid pneumatic valve can be used to control the gas.

Oh well, by the looks of the handle, it's a 150A el cheapo set. Fun to experiment with.

David_s
10-24-2011, 09:06 AM
I believe a replacement hose for my el-cheepo mig was pretty cheep. $30ish (let the hose touch hot metal once) . This would already have the hose for running the gas through. Then you would just need a valve and solenoid to turn on and off the flow.

Ibedayank
10-24-2011, 11:14 AM
gas migs run on reverse polarity to a fluxcore mig

charlie_r
10-24-2011, 09:40 PM
The HF flux core unit I have, is an AC unit, using DCEN flux wire. Google turned up this (http://www.blinkenbyte.org/welder_conversion/welder_conversion.html), of someone converting his to DC. Looks like a good winter project to me, with the addition of this timely find. Thanks, Runnerpack!

I'll post how I do my conversion when I do it. I'm cheap, so you know it will come in as low cost as I possibly can get it!